Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi secured card FINALLY graduated

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi secured card FINALLY graduated

I started my credit rebuild with secured Discover, BOA, Citi, and Navy Fed cards back in January of 2017.  All but Citi graduated long, long ago.  I finally got a notice in the mail that my Citi card is graduating this month...over two years later!  It's only a tiny little $200 card. Anyone know if I'm likely to get an auto CLI at graduation or am likely to have success with requesting a CLI?  If I do request one, is it likely to be a SP?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Citi secured card FINALLY graduated

Thats great! Your hard work has paid off, Congrats to you!! Others that have had their card graduate, did get a CLI as well, and your card will graduate to the DP, which you can PC to a different card if wanted. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 17
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I started my credit rebuild with secured Discover, BOA, Citi, and Navy Fed cards back in January of 2017.  All but Citi graduated long, long ago.  I finally got a notice in the mail that my Citi card is graduating this month...over two years later!  It's only a tiny little $200 card. Anyone know if I'm likely to get an auto CLI at graduation or am likely to have success with requesting a CLI?  If I do request one, is it likely to be a SP?

As a fellow Citi-secured holder - CONGRATS!

Many people have reported CLIs, and if you don't get one, you can always keep an eye on your account for the SP CLI language.
You can also PC your card once you receive it.  Enjoy your new graduated card!

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your graduation! 

Message 4 of 17
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Didn't the card expire at 18 months? I got one in April of this year, and it expires in October 2020, 18 months later. And, that is the official graduation date for the card, though I'm hoping it happens earlier.

Maybe policies were different in January 2017. In any case, I'm confused why it would take so long to graduate if other cards were graduating meantime. Did you do anything to annoy Citi?

Either way, congrats. Whenever mine graduates, I'm planning to see if I can PC it to Double Cash.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 17
calyx
Super Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

Didn't the card expire at 18 months? I got one in April of this year, and it expires in October 2020, 18 months later. And, that is the official graduation date for the card, though I'm hoping it happens earlier.

Maybe policies were different in January 2017. In any case, I'm confused why it would take so long to graduate if other cards were graduating meantime. Did you do anything to annoy Citi?

Either way, congrats. Whenever mine graduates, I'm planning to see if I can PC it to Double Cash.

Citi has been known to extend the secured time with their cards (like other lenders), I've seen a few mentions about it.
We probably hear about it less since they already have an 18month long period.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you got the letter don't expect your card to actually graduate for like 2 more months.. 

Message 7 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your graduation!
Message 8 of 17
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Citi graduation! Hope you get a CLI as well.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a letter from them at 18 months saying they were extending my secured period for another year.  Finally that year is up!  I got the letter a week ago saying it is graduating, but haven't received my security deposit check in the mail yet or my new card.  I've waited this long, I guess I can be just a little more patient. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.