Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi secured cards

tag
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

Citi secured cards

I got shot down applying for a BoA secured card & I was thinking of giving Citi a try. I've read in the past where some people are saying that Citi doesn't report to the CRA for 18 months & when I went to their site it indicates that it does report right away but, it takes 18 months to possibly graduate. I have no problem waiting 18 months for a card to graduate but, I'm not going to apply for a card that doesn't report for the 1st 18 months. Can anyone please clarify if they do or do not report right away ? Thanks very much
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi secured cards

Ok, I just spoke to a live agent and they told me that they do report right away & that the 18 month waiting period was false.
Message 2 of 14
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

I have the Citi secured card and it reports every month right after the statement closes. The account is supposed to graduate in March and I can't wait to see what CL they start me off with.
Message 3 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think it's one of the hardest secured cards to get and you can't talk to live person to recon if application is declined
Message 4 of 14
emartin82
Regular Contributor

citi is not doing so well (understatement), and their consumer credit products will continue to face significant scrutiny to minimize losses. their secured card is an excellent way to get in the door with a prime bank, but don't expect any great CLIs. conservative CLIs ($500 at unsecuring) are the norm, just like with bofa.

you should try US Bank secured card if you get shot down at Citi. they are an excellent financial institution and offer excellent credit card products once you get in the door with them. the only problem is they may not offer some products in all states.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also keep in mind that the citi secured is linked to a cd. So, once you make your initial deposit to establish your cl, you can't change it for 18months, the money is locked, no adding or subtracting.
Message 6 of 14
Andy77
Valued Contributor

YoungEntrepeneur did Citi unsecure your card?

what was the CLI if they did?

Thanks  

Message 7 of 14
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

I have a Citi secured card that I received December 2009.

I applied for another one at the very end of January. Yesterday, Feb 8th, I received an email that I was approved for a second one. They pull EQ and there are no baddies on my report with that bureau. 

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

with 655 and no baddies, you couldn't get approved for non secured card?
Message 9 of 14
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

I wanted a very high limit so I opted to go secure right now. After 18 months, I was told it should unsecure at an even higher limit. We'll see!
“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.