Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi sent 3 offers after pre-qualified check

tag
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Citi sent 3 offers after pre-qualified check

I recently went around checking on issuer sites "See If You're Pre-Qualified for a Card" tools to feel out what my options could be.  I currently have one $5k BBVA/CompassBank visa that is 8 months old and a new $2k discover that has not reported just yet at all. I'd really like to add a third card to the mix. Anyway, I just received three pre-qualified offers from Citibank on the same day.

1. Citi ThankYou Preferred
  2. Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage World MasterCard
  3. Citi Simplicity

I do have a few CO from 6 years ago that are in their last year and a whole bunch of student loan lates on only one set of undergraduate loans. Scores seem to be around 680-710.

Anyone have thoughts about apping for one of these cards now? Wait till the discover reports (hopefully after the next statement cut around July 6th)? Should I just ignore these and go get a GE backed card like Banana Republic or something to garden with until the end of the year?

If I do app for a citi card, I then need to choose which sounds most like the program I want to join. I do fly AA and have been wanting a travel card.  Anyone know what CR Citi pulls the most, if not all three?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Citi sent 3 offers after pre-qualified check

I should mention that the AAdvantage card does not have an intro APR, just 15.24% and $95 AF. 35k bonus miles after $1500 spend in the first three months and a few other AA perks.

The other two have 0% APR intro:

• Thank you has 0% for 12 months, 14.99% after. No AF. Includes 7500 bonus points ($75 redeemed as giftcards) for $500 spend in first three months.
  • Simplicity has 0% for 12 months (18 months for BT), 12.99% after. Perks are no AF, no late fee, no penalty rate.
Message 2 of 22
john398
Senior Contributor

I got an offer in my mailbox  for the Thank You prefered this week and did the pre qualify check a couple of weeks ago, did not apply though

Message 3 of 22
bahbahd
Established Contributor

I realized it may be pretty foolish to get an AA rewards based cards right in the middle of a merger with US Airways. Who knows what the rewards program fall out is going to be or what cards will transition into.  Last thing I need is to have a card closed in a few months just to have a new card opened by Citi.

Message 4 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

I wonder if  the AA card is worth getting if someone was looking  for a card to churn. Get the bonus miles and then they will reissue a new card with a different bonus down the line and you could apply for that card and get that bonus as well.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 22
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I wonder if  the AA card is worth getting if someone was looking  for a card to churn. Get the bonus miles and then they will reissue a new card with a different bonus down the line and you could apply for that card and get that bonus as well.

Would it be churning if I did not have to apply for the card and they just PC'd me to whatever the new offering is? Do people who have a card that reached EoL and PCs to a new card receive signup bonuses, or just inherit the new rewards program as is?

Message 6 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

That is an interesting question. Is citi going to definetly handle the cards for the airline after merger? When I wrote my prior response a television ad came up for this very card, so they are clearly still pushing it quite hard.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 22
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@bahbahd wrote:

I recently went around checking on issuer sites "See If You're Pre-Qualified for a Card" tools to feel out what my options could be.  I currently have one $5k BBVA/CompassBank visa that is 8 months old and a new $2k discover that has not reported just yet at all. I'd really like to add a third card to the mix. Anyway, I just received three pre-qualified offers from Citibank on the same day.

1. Citi ThankYou Preferred
  2. Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage World MasterCard
  3. Citi Simplicity

I do have a few CO from 6 years ago that are in their last year and a whole bunch of student loan lates on only one set of undergraduate loans. Scores seem to be around 680-710.

Anyone have thoughts about apping for one of these cards now? Wait till the discover reports (hopefully after the next statement cut around July 6th)? Should I just ignore these and go get a GE backed card like Banana Republic or something to garden with until the end of the year?

If I do app for a citi card, I then need to choose which sounds most like the program I want to join. I do fly AA and have been wanting a travel card.  Anyone know what CR Citi pulls the most, if not all three?

I got the same offer your got when I check for pre-qual.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 8 of 22
Simply827
Established Contributor

Citi has been sending me offers for the past couple of months. I just looked back at an old one and see they offered a $350 Bonus for the Thank You card, which traditionally doesn't have any sign on bonus at all. I might add it to my spree next week even though I'm nearly positive I'll be declined. My EX is my worse score and that's what they tend to pull. However, I'm pretty sure they softed my EQ too. Oh well, I'm willing to roll the dice for $350.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 9 of 22
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Hmmm does citi always do this of sending almost everybody pre-qual letters??

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.