Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi shutdown all cards!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi shutdown all cards!!

Just found out that citi shut down all my cards. I had three cards with them until about a week ago. The first one was open in 2012. I hardly ever use that one. another one I opened I utilized regularly and paid off in full. The third one was an American Airlines card I open last year because of the promo and then closed about 2 weeks ago. My credit score is about 820 last time I checked. I tried to relocate the credit from the one I was closing to one of the ones I have had for a while and they agreed. Then come to find out they shut everything down. They won't tell me why. I received the letter that doesn't stipulate anything. Only other thing I could think of is that I did do three disputes this year but they total amount of $60. And we're completely legitimate because the merchant would not reply back just kept stating that they would send the items but never did. So I'm wondering how in the hell can they close accounts with a person with a great credit score and good history just because a couple disputes and paying in full. I thought it was possibly churning but that doesn't make sense as I really don't do that. Anybody have any luck trying to get credit back with city after the fact or any Avenues they took? Any advice would be appreciated I'm still just shocked
27 REPLIES 27
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi shutdown all cards!!

That's very crazy I haven't seen that happen before?!

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any spending that can possibly be viewed by Citi as unusual (e.g. persistent large amounts)? Any large deposits to bank accounts (if you have with them)?

When you close the AA card which you got the bonus, was it before or after the annual fee (but even if after the annual fee, you only had to pay $99 -- if it's the Platinum Select card -- while Citi had to pay 60--75k points so Citi would still be on the loss)?

But still, if it's Citi it could be anything... you know their IT could use some improvement and they might have some bugs with their risk analysis algorithm.

Message 3 of 28
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about the Adverse Action OP. Without the letter for their reason/s, everything you’ll read here will just be speculative. Hope you can sort it out. Best of Luck and please keep us posted.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that I can think of. The one i used was a double cash back card so used it for a lot. Paid off in full every month.
Message 5 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Anonymous and welcome to the forums.

If you've received the letter regarding the closures, what are the reasons cited?
Message 6 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Very sorry to hear this. Especially given your scores. Can you tell us more about your overall profile?. Im curious to your statement about churning. You said you really dont do that where it might have come off as either i do churn or dont churn but saying really, im kinda reading it as perhsps you did or do something that perhaps you dont consider churning whereas someone else, ie Citi, might. Thanks
Message 7 of 28
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

There appears to be no credit-related reason for them to do this. It is also a clue that no reason was given to you that it is not credit related, as those have AA notifcation requirements.

I would look for other reasons.

Message 8 of 28
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

I would say "no loss there." Citi is a terrible bank. Horrible customer service, pathetic IT, and faulty fraud systems/policies.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 6 active citi AA cards and they haven't shut me down.  I don't think you closing one card to avoid an annual fee is the reason. 

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.