Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi travel portal using Double Cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi travel portal using Double Cash

Just checked the website and clicked 'more ways to redeem' on Thank you point and there's a travel portal!

Never seen it before or was it always there? This is almost a game changer for me. Bc my DC limit is 1500 opposed to CFF's 500. Seems Citi likes my thin and bad profile more lol. DC has meagre travel benefit, doesn't have collision insurance like CFF, so can't use it for car rental if I want to use that secondary insurance, but for motel and airfare, looks good?

Here's the question, can one transfer TYP from DC to another, say Premier like CFF/CFU can do with Sapphire? Then in fact I could actually choose to app for Premier in the future rather than CSP lol. Sure CSP is more versatile, has primary collision insurance too, but Premier has gas 3%. And it might not be reliable but creditcard.com? 'recommends' Citi card like Premier rather than Chase cards. I've been denied plenty of Citi cards as well, but the chance of success in future applying might be slightly higher than Chase 😅

When I checked one way travel to Seoul in June, again Aeroplan was the cheapest(ugh..why did you partner with Chase), then Hawaiian, FInnair!, Delta, Koreanair..except for Hawaiian and Delta all other fares include free checked bag, even the most basic economy one.

I wonder how many actually use Citi travel portal, and their experience with it, using Premier and such. Anyhow, seems I have yet another travel option using CC Smiley Happy  My current TYP is like 1414, vastly lower than CFF's 9900 or something, since my organic spend gears more towards CFF. Not gonna cash out both points any time soon...!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi travel portal using Double Cash

TYP travel portal itself is no better or worse than the others.  Pretty much all OTAs run on just a few back ends like Expedia and similar providers.  Premier used to be much better with its 25% bonus (similar to CSP) when redeeming that way, but that was nerfed.  The only way to get more than 1 cpp is by having a Rewards+ card and getting a 10% rebate.  Otherwise your 2% Double Cash is still going to just be a 2% card when redeemed this way.  The points do pool as long as cards are linked to the same TYP account.  (Works like Amex rather than Chase.)  That can be accomplished with a phone call if not automatic.

For hotels, it's important to remember that if hotel status perks and earnings are important to you, in most cases perks and earnings are nil when using an OTA.  (There used to be a workaround on Citi Prestige but that is also gone now.)

Citi does not like a lot of new accounts.  FWIW I had scores around 800, decades of clean history, average credit lines north of $25k, and my Premier approval was $3500 at the highest APR.

Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just checked the website and clicked 'more ways to redeem' on Thank you point and there's a travel portal!

Never seen it before or was it always there? This is almost a game changer for me. Bc my DC limit is 1500 opposed to CFF's 500. Seems Citi likes my thin and bad profile more lol. DC has meagre travel benefit, doesn't have collision insurance like CFF, so can't use it for car rental if I want to use that secondary insurance, but for motel and airfare, looks good?

Here's the question, can one transfer TYP from DC to another, say Premier like CFF/CFU can do with Sapphire? Then in fact I could actually choose to app for Premier in the future rather than CSP lol. Sure CSP is more versatile, has primary collision insurance too, but Premier has gas 3%. And it might not be reliable but creditcard.com? 'recommends' Citi card like Premier rather than Chase cards. I've been denied plenty of Citi cards as well, but the chance of success in future applying might be slightly higher than Chase 😅

When I checked one way travel to Seoul in June, again Aeroplan was the cheapest(ugh..why did you partner with Chase), then Hawaiian, FInnair!, Delta, Koreanair..except for Hawaiian and Delta all other fares include free checked bag, even the most basic economy one.

I wonder how many actually use Citi travel portal, and their experience with it, using Premier and such. Anyhow, seems I have yet another travel option using CC Smiley Happy  My current TYP is like 1414, vastly lower than CFF's 9900 or something, since my organic spend gears more towards CFF. Not gonna cash out both points any time soon...!

Yes, your DC TY points can be transferred to your Premier Card TYP's.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank u @K-in-Boston  and @SouthJamaica  ! So no point boost except for Rewards card, interesting, thought that card wasn't too attractive..food for thought! Yes I alredy have 2 Citi cards(Best City store, why did I apply for it uggghhh), also was rejected plenty, so won't apply for those anytime soon...

Message 4 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank u @K-in-Boston  and @SouthJamaica  ! So no point boost except for Rewards card, interesting, thought that card wasn't too attractive..food for thought! Yes I alredy have 2 Citi cards(Best City store, why did I apply for it uggghhh), also was rejected plenty, so won't apply for those anytime soon...

To me, it's very attractive. I love having a double whammy with which to build a Thank You points collection.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Rewards+ is also great for someone who makes many micro purchases (some ideas would include a vending machine at work or frequent low dollar billing for apps, music, in-game purchases, etc.) as it earns a minimum of 10 TYPs on every transaction.  So a $1 charge makes it a 10x card for those charges, for example.  Citi cards can at times have some rather niche uses.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.