cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi unable to tell me if CLI is HP or SP...

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Citi unable to tell me if CLI is HP or SP...

Here is the transcript of the secure message I sent Citi: (I realized my first question was too vague, but apparently my second question was unanswerable)

Subject: Credit History
Date: July 12, 2013 4:56 EST

We are unable to predict the inquiry type until we have begun the review of your request.

We regret any confusion or inconvenience.

Date: July 12, 2013 4:17 EST

My question is: will it be a hard inquiry or a soft inquiry? Thanks.

Subject: Re: Credit History
Date: July 11, 2013 9:16 EST

Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for your inquiry.

We report information to the credit bureaus every 30 days. We are unable to comment on how the credit reporting agencies or other creditors might interpret a credit inquiry.
You are entitled to a free credit report annually from each of the following three nationwide consumer reporting agencies:

- Equifax
- Experian, and
- TransUnion

Requests for the report may be made by mail, phone, or via the Internet.

Phone Number:
1-877-322-8228

Address:
Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

We are unable to predict if this will negatively impact your account or credit rating.

I hope this information was helpful.

Date: July 11, 2013 8:26 EST

When I view the Request Credit Increase page, it notes that Citi will check my credit history, as such: By submitting this form you authorize Citibank, N.A. to check your credit history. Cancel What type of credit check would be completed in this situation? Will it impact my credit score? Thanks!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi unable to tell me if CLI is HP or SP...

Telephone representatives say the same thing. You can't talk to the underwriters, who will make the decision most likely. I believe it may depend on how much you request. More most likely will be a hard and less will most likely be a soft.

Message 2 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think the response makes sense, even if it is annoying.   I assume something like:

1) If a recent SP report is available, and it meets [several unknown conditions, probably including amount of CLI requested] they may do a SP

2) Otherwise hard

So until they look, they cannot know if it is 1 or 2.

Message 3 of 47
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

These types of responses are what make me want to hate citi and it's why the credit reform needs to be changed again... it should be flat out illegal for them to use some of the language they do because it confuses the heck out of people and really kind of points the finger to the credit report agency to really be the one that is doing the INQ and what not which is just silly.

We have a couple threads tryign to figure out if they have different screens still like they use to rather it will be a SP or a HP and the difference between CLI on Personal and Business Accounts but all I know as the business account my partner had a screen that asked how much increase and how much he made... Continue... Confirm... 7-10 Days... HP EX next day... CLI DENIED Smiley Sad Would not have done it if knew HP

on personal side i have gotten confused at what people see if it was a SP but my partners screen has 4 steps to the CLI request you can see and I think that is HP but unsure.

In the past if it asked for amount you wanted and income that was a SP (like the business CLI screen looked like) and if you got a screen asking about job and housing, that was a HP... doesn't seem that way anymore though.

Message 4 of 47
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Both of those answers seem much more reasonable than what the Citi CSR said. I just wish it was more clear cut. I would be willing to take HP on EQ or TU, but would prefer the SP. No one on these forums has put together the Citi policy, and they aren't very upfront about it, so requesting a CLI makes me very hesitant.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 5 of 47
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

CA,

I'm right there with you trying to figure this thing out and as far as I can tell, everyone has reported back here that on personal accounts they are seeing the screen asking for income and housing information. Whether or not it is an HP after that is up in the air...

Message 6 of 47
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

+1 Citi sucks

Message 7 of 47
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I don't think requested amount has anything to do with rather they need SP or HP... in the past if CLI was available by computer it just instantly countered no matter what... I know because I helped my friend and a roommate get Citi Forward Cards and then upon hitting 4 months also helped them both request CLI (it's posted on here about 1.5 years ago... one had $4k starting and one had $6k... they both requested $10k for CLI... one went to $8400 and one to 7600... both instant and both SP's but that was back when you would see a screen with just the 2 questions so you knew it was a sp.

Message 8 of 47
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

It will most likely be a hard pull. Avoid it!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 47
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

They actually told me once it would be a sp and I wound up with a HP- which I disputed off my EQ report.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.