Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi - why so angry?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Citi - why so angry?

In reading the various posts here about Citi Im sensing a lot of hostility towards them.  Why are the people on this board so angry with Citi? Is it customer service, problems with their products or are people just upset about not being approved by them.

If its the lack of approval, are the denials based on real reason or do they seem to be all over the place?  I want to add a Citi card to my profile but wanted to know why the dislike for them.  Right now I'm thinking about the Citi Forward card but open for suggestions.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi - why so angry?

IMO, it's a combination of strict lending standards and mediocre customer service once you get in. Their website seems to be quite buggy as well.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 30
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I'm ok with strict lending standards, but you have better match it with upper-class CS

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 30
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I have only called citi once while waiting for a answer since my app had taken more than a week for an answer. The lady i spoke was nice tho and she nicely explained to me how sometimes they manually review apps so thats why it was taking long. Good experience with them so far.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 30
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I've never had any issues with Citi, and they've treated me very well.

My lowest interest rate is with Citi.  The "spend offers" I take advantage of are with Citi.

I cannot comment on CSRs, because I do not call any CCC unless absolutely necessary (like fraud).

The only thing with Citi, if you have several cards (business, personal, whatever) is if you screw up on even one account, all accounts get the default rate.

Message 5 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

While I do not have any Citi products...

it's the combination of their responsibility in the financial crisis, poor customer service (I've called many a time to find out credit requirements before I take the bullet - MOSTLY ALL FOREIGN REPS), and silly denial reasons.

I feel my reasons are thoroughly justified.... I'll prob app for Diamond in 6 mos to a year though... LOL...

I have seen many people have decade long relationships with them thouh and have really high limits and super low rates...

so they do have a fan base.

OH

and the one time I was denied with a 670+ FICO... I tried to recon, and the rep was SO RUDE.... just beyond belief rude!!! Poor CSR.... it's weird cause I used to have a Shell and PIF and they didn't even take that into account when they denied me earlier this year. Oh well, Amex, Barclay's, Chase, and Discover all like me as a loyal customer :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 30
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

While I do not have any Citi products...

it's the combination of their responsibility in the financial crisis, poor customer service (I've called many a time to find out credit requirements before I take the bullet - MOSTLY ALL FOREIGN REPS), and silly denial reasons.

I feel my reasons are thoroughly justified.... I'll prob app for Diamond in 6 mos to a year though... LOL...

I have seen many people have decade long relationships with them thouh and have really high limits and super low rates...

so they do have a fan base.

OH

and the one time I was denied with a 670+ FICO... I tried to recon, and the rep was SO RUDE.... just beyond belief rude!!! Poor CSR.... it's weird cause I used to have a Shell and PIF and they didn't even take that into account when they denied me earlier this year. Oh well, Amex, Barclay's, Chase, and Discover all like me as a loyal customer :-)

The front line reps are a mess. I would directly compare them to Crap1 level. The letter says I got declined because of too many INQ's, it didn't mention that my AAoA is measured in months not years...haha

Try this number for future service: 605-331-1698

Ask them about lending requirements and explain past problems you have had with them. Maybe they will push an application through for you.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 7 of 30
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

I have had nothing but great service from Citi. They are my lowest APR and gave me good starting limits. Everytime I call CS, they are extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to help. 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 8 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks.. just saved that number in my phone ;-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

How many inqs do you have in the past six months? two years?

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.