Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi - why so angry?

tag
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

Re: Citi - why so angry?

I got approved for their ThankYou last month with high utl 62%. I never talked to CSR so don't really know. I never contact my cc company unless there is a mistake or fraud anyway.

Message 21 of 30
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Just remembered, only downside is back in 09 I think it was, they raised both my cards rates to default 29.99. Never lowered it. I think that's the only negative I have with them. I was never late, although I did go over the limit a couple times. I didn't think much of it since it was a flexible spend card that allows it. I always paid it down.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 22 of 30
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:
Actually it's illegal for them to tell you what's required/needed to get a particular card. That's why they don't do it.

It is not illegal for them to give you some hints at what might be helpful. IE hold a particular card for a particular length of time, wait for INQ's to drop off ect.

Of course they won't flat out tell you what is needed for a particular card, it varies from person to person. Somebody with a 670 FICO may get the card while somebody with a 730 may get declined, but they can tell you what you should do to improve your current situation.

They may tell you this information but its not supposed to happen.  It is illegal for lenders to say for example that you need a particular score, income level etc to get a card as it may also discourage you from applying.  This opens the gate for them having to defend a discriminatory lending practices claim (AMEX just got hit with this).  Please reference the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre15.shtm)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 30
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:
Actually it's illegal for them to tell you what's required/needed to get a particular card. That's why they don't do it.

It is not illegal for them to give you some hints at what might be helpful. IE hold a particular card for a particular length of time, wait for INQ's to drop off ect.

Of course they won't flat out tell you what is needed for a particular card, it varies from person to person. Somebody with a 670 FICO may get the card while somebody with a 730 may get declined, but they can tell you what you should do to improve your current situation.

They may tell you this information but its not supposed to happen.  It is illegal for lenders to say for example that you need a particular score, income level etc to get a card as it may also discourage you from applying.  This opens the gate for them having to defend a discriminatory lending practices claim (AMEX just got hit with this).  Please reference the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre15.shtm)

If a card does have a minimum income required, they can and will tell you.

Take this bank for example:

https://www.kitsapcu.org/Site/Borrow/Cards.aspx

***$40,000 annual income required for VISA Platinum.
****$30,000 annual income required for VISA Gold.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 24 of 30
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Citi gave my my highest CL, I love Citi.  their CSR isn't the best but when your eligable for Sp's every 6 mo's for a cli what more could you ask for.  Discover and Chase don't offer that.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 25 of 30
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

How many inqs do you have in the past six months? two years?

Not exactly sure, I'm too cheap to buy a credit report. I also can't remember what order I put them during my app spree. Maybe 5 INQ's in last 6 months? Maybe 10 last 2 years? Not really sure. Credit score between 670-720.

Just got a call today from Citi. I was approved for the thank you preferred with a $3,000 limit.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 26 of 30
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I have had no issue with Citi.  The only probelm I had was that my credit card never made it to me.  After I called them they overnighted the card and I had it the next day.

Message 27 of 30
baronofthenorth
New Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

In reading the various posts here about Citi Im sensing a lot of hostility towards them.  Why are the people on this board so angry with Citi? Is it customer service, problems with their products or are people just upset about not being approved by them.

If its the lack of approval, are the denials based on real reason or do they seem to be all over the place?  I want to add a Citi card to my profile but wanted to know why the dislike for them.  Right now I'm thinking about the Citi Forward card but open for suggestions.

They earned it by being the worst of the Big 4, along with BofA, for needing massive taxpayer bailouts and providing generally poor CS (most of which seems to be "offshore").  The fact that they have strict lending practices now is largely a result of economic necessity after the meltdown.  However, we should feel better about them now since they thanked the taxpayers (to whom they are indebted for their very survival) by introducing ThankYou points!  Talk about the ultimate slap in the face...  ;-)

EQ FICO 695 (4/26/2012)
TU FAKO CK 723
Lender Pulls (for mortgage) 12/03/2012 - 698 EQ, 729 TU, 721 EX
Business Cards: Discover Business Miles and US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards
Personal Cards: Capital One, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon, Wells Fargo Rewards, Amex Zync NPSL, Target, Chevron/Texaco Store Card and VISA, CareCredit
Message 28 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Pahhahaha! I wouldnt expect them to say that I need a certain income or anything like that or a specific fico... Just what they might typically look for...

Hmm Amex approved me with 10 hard inqs in 2 years....so did Disc.

You can get free credit reports at annualcreditreport.com OR if youve been denied credit by anyone, even a cli, you can get a free report at any of the major three cbs websites.... I pull free reports all the time hahaha!!! :-) I never pay for them, EVER!!

Good job Dustink!!!!:-D
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 29 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Btw, on annualcreditreport.com, you can only get one free report a year
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.