cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able to?

galahad15
Valued Contributor

Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able to?

Citi apparently won't let me move any credit limits on my existing cards with them using the standard contact numbers on the back of the cards.  I know from reading past forum posts that combining limits with Citi can be hit or miss and YMMV, but I was wondering, for any forum members who were able to successfully combine limits on their Citi cards, can you please PM me the Citi phone number you were able to transfer the limits on, if you still have it available?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able

I tried 2-3 more times by phone and Citi stil refuses to combine/transfer limits, with the other reps I spoke with as well; they keep telling me that it is impossible for Citi to do that, and claim it simply can't be done...anyone have any additional info please, where they were able to get limits moved successfully?

Message 2 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able

Policies can and do change so it could be that they don't do it anymore. That said they require a HP for it anyway, so why not just request a HP CLI on the card you want to increase? Basically same result and less aggravation
Message 3 of 18
Irish80
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able


@kdm31091 wrote:
Policies can and do change so it could be that they don't do it anymore. That said they require a HP for it anyway, so why not just request a HP CLI on the card you want to increase? Basically same result and less aggravation

They still do it.  Several people reported success doing so in the last few days.

 

@galahad15, try contacting them via Twitter or Facebook.  I have read of people having success using those routes.

Message 4 of 18
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able

I was able to do it 2 days ago, what I did was I asked to speak to a account manager and got a U.S based CSR, instead of saying combining limited I just said I wanted to move $x from card A to card B.

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode



Message 5 of 18
Bunnylocks
New Contributor

Re: Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able


@galahad15 wrote:

Citi apparently won't let me move any credit limits on my existing cards with them using the standard contact numbers on the back of the cards.  I know from reading past forum posts that combining limits with Citi can be hit or miss and YMMV, but I was wondering, for any forum members who were able to successfully combine limits on their Citi cards, can you please PM me the Citi phone number you were able to transfer the limits on, if you still have it available?  Thanks!


Call the Executive Office number in the backdoor thread. I was able to move my limits around 3 years ago with a HP. Two days ago I closed out my Simplicity card and transferred the limit to my Double Cash card. The rep told me she would have to submit my request to a Credit Analyst for approval and that it would require a HP, she also said it would take 3-5 days for a decision. She called me back the next day and said my request was approved. They never even did a HP. 

Message 6 of 18
jfriend33
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able


@Bunnylocks wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Citi apparently won't let me move any credit limits on my existing cards with them using the standard contact numbers on the back of the cards.  I know from reading past forum posts that combining limits with Citi can be hit or miss and YMMV, but I was wondering, for any forum members who were able to successfully combine limits on their Citi cards, can you please PM me the Citi phone number you were able to transfer the limits on, if you still have it available?  Thanks!


Call the Executive Office number in the backdoor thread. I was able to move my limits around 3 years ago with a HP. Two days ago I closed out my Simplicity card and transferred the limit to my Double Cash card. The rep told me she would have to submit my request to a Credit Analyst for approval and that it would require a HP, she also said it would take 3-5 days for a decision. She called me back the next day and said my request was approved. They never even did a HP. 


This totally. The one that isnt a 1800 number.  Might not be same day service, but you can bet your butterball it will be personable and happen.

 

Maybe this is an issue of not wanting to do it with a HP?  Just a FYI, myself and many family members and friends have had much luck with this number in getting our needs met, and on multiple  times it was stated it would be a HP, and just by being polite and agreeing to it, the result ended up being positive and them saying HP not required.  I have obviously never moved limits since I have only one card but I know others who have. But if it does end up being a HP it will be worth it to prune and refine your glowing lineup!

 

Just hope you consider past dividend categories if those would be beneficial to you or not, also the DP getting 5% off 500 offers and 1.99% purchase APR for a year, etc, ike we've discussed, as well as thinking Ok. I do have enough credit, worst case scenario I close a card, let some time pass, if you dont get the increase on the card you would have moved limit to, then risk a HP that might not happen.  

 

Good luck my friend!

EQ 730, TU 730, EX 720. INQs EQ-1, TU-9, EX-7 AAOA 4yrs Util 6% Inspiration: Themanwhocan's Cash Back Charts
Message 7 of 18
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able

Update:  I called the non-800 EO number, but they did not want to appear to help much unfortunately, instead they advised me to contact the customer service number directly on the back of my card.  They did take my phone info though and said that I may get a callback, I guess we'll see how it goes...  Smiley Indifferent

 

If Citi remains unopen and unwilling to transfer limits, I may just start closing out the cards that are no longer  needed, and keep trying to grow limits on the others that I want to keep.  Tbh, I'm a little surprised that Citi appears to be so hard-line about not being able to accommodate these kinds of requests -- for FNBO and BoA, arranging the same kind of request was a breeze...

Message 8 of 18
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able

That is unfortunate, why can't Citi be like Chase when it comes to moving limits. 

Gardening until September 2019
Next app: Mortgage in September 2019
Message 9 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Citi won't let me move credit limits on card nos., can anyone pls PM me a # where you were able


@galahad15 wrote:

Update:  I called the non-800 EO number, but they did not want to appear to help much unfortunately, instead they advised me to contact the customer service number directly on the back of my card.  They did take my phone info though and said that I may get a callback, I guess we'll see how it goes...  Smiley Indifferent

 

If Citi remains unopen and unwilling to transfer limits, I may just start closing out the cards that are no longer  needed, and keep trying to grow limits on the others that I want to keep.  Tbh, I'm a little surprised that Citi appears to be so hard-line about not being able to accommodate these kinds of requests -- for FNBO and BoA, arranging the same kind of request was a breeze...


Sorry to hear about the challenges, hopefully it works out.

 

What cards are involved and which limit amounts are you trying to move?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.