Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Reconsideration question

tag
gwizdak24
Frequent Contributor

Citibank Reconsideration question

I applied for the simplicity card and was denied so I called the backdoor number and they asked for a copy of another credit report which I sent (transunion), (they originally pulled experian for me). Needless to say 2 weeks later I get another hard pull for the recon. I want to know has this happened to anyone? I was very surprised.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Citibank Reconsideration question

Yes this is pretty much in-line with what citi does for reconsiderations. They sometimes pull from all 3 bureaus (again) as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
Yes this is pretty much in-line with what citi does for reconsiderations. They sometimes pull from all 3 bureaus (again) as well.

+1

Standard re-review process with Citi.

Message 3 of 13
gwizdak24
Frequent Contributor

thank you so much for the replies because I was going to call someone and go off on them lol. 

Message 4 of 13
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Njf2203 wrote:

thank you so much for the replies because I was going to call someone and go off on them lol. 

Did you get approved? Citibank is not known for recon success.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 13
apacislvallejo
New Contributor

Back in November, I appd for a Citibank Simplicity Card, as well as a Citibank Diamond Preferred and was denied for too many inquiries on both. Then I came across the 718 number on the internet for the executive offices and after reading posts here, I was encouraged to go ahead and recon CDP ... and I got a wonderful helpful woman, Jen, on the phone. She came back 48 hours later and patiently & kindly informed me that they would stick to their oriignal denial decision. SO I hung up and let that rest.

Meanwhile, I found the denial letter from the Simplicity card, and called the backdoor number and explained my situation to the rep about too many inquiries, and explained to him what those inquiries were, etc. He said that he would welcome a reconsider if I emailed them a copy of my credit report; no NP would be done. I did that. And 8 days later, I'm notified by the credit monitoring service that an HP has been done by Citibank.

So I called this morning spoke to a rep, and confirmed they pulled the report. But to my astonishment, it wasn't so much about the Hard Inquiries this time, but I was being restricted because of unsettled accounts back in the past. They gave me an 800 number to call, which I did, and those accounts are from two accounts charged off to BK back in 1996.

So I'm not sure, if I should call back, plead my case with them to say it was written off in bankruptcy, or not ... or that I should let sleeping dogs lie.

ANyways, that's my experience with Citibank. The HP was noted this last time ... I've learned here that whenever you want them to reconsider, it's an auto-HP with Citibank. Thanks, apacislvallejo
FICO8 Updated: 3/11/2016
Eq: 803, Ex: 774, TU: 797
FICO9 Updated: 2/15/2016
Eq: 814; Ex: 793; Tu: 809 ----- TOTAL CL: $204,500
Message 6 of 13
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

My experience is right here :  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-Recon-Worked-well-sort-off/td-p/2693819

I didnt get the CL I wanted but recon worked without a new PULL

Message 7 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@apacislvallejo wrote:
Back in November, I appd for a Citibank Simplicity Card, as well as a Citibank Diamond Preferred and was denied for too many inquiries on both. Then I came across the 718 number on the internet for the executive offices and after reading posts here, I was encouraged to go ahead and recon CDP ... and I got a wonderful helpful woman, Jen, on the phone. She came back 48 hours later and patiently & kindly informed me that they would stick to their oriignal denial decision. SO I hung up and let that rest.

Meanwhile, I found the denial letter from the Simplicity card, and called the backdoor number and explained my situation to the rep about too many inquiries, and explained to him what those inquiries were, etc. He said that he would welcome a reconsider if I emailed them a copy of my credit report; no NP would be done. I did that. And 8 days later, I'm notified by the credit monitoring service that an HP has been done by Citibank.

So I called this morning spoke to a rep, and confirmed they pulled the report. But to my astonishment, it wasn't so much about the Hard Inquiries this time, but I was being restricted because of unsettled accounts back in the past. They gave me an 800 number to call, which I did, and those accounts are from two accounts charged off to BK back in 1996.

So I'm not sure, if I should call back, plead my case with them to say it was written off in bankruptcy, or not ... or that I should let sleeping dogs lie.

ANyways, that's my experience with Citibank. The HP was noted this last time ... I've learned here that whenever you want them to reconsider, it's an auto-HP with Citibank. Thanks, apacislvallejo

It sounds like no matter which backdoor you pursue, it's going to be a no-go in either case.  I would let time pass and see if the opportunity present itself in the future.  It's going to be a YEMV situation for every individual but it sounds like the negative factors would not tilt the approval in your direction at this point.

Message 8 of 13
gwizdak24
Frequent Contributor

Nope, I didn't get approved. They said I had a negative account on my report ( I was disputing a Verizon account, someone opened on my name but couldn't get to the bottom of it). I tried to explain to them that I got approved for the Diamond Preferred (I think that is what it was) (the same day), so I don't see how I got approved for one and not the other. They weren't having it. Was a little bummed but over it now.

Message 9 of 13
apacislvallejo
New Contributor

Yah. I think you're right. I've resolve myself to accept and let go ... But I did go from a $500 to $5500 credit increase on my Best Buy Mastercard with the help of this board ... The ironic thing is that the card is owned by Citibank, NA ... [LOL---all the way to the bank]
FICO8 Updated: 3/11/2016
Eq: 803, Ex: 774, TU: 797
FICO9 Updated: 2/15/2016
Eq: 814; Ex: 793; Tu: 809 ----- TOTAL CL: $204,500
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.