Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Secured Card Denial Letter

tag
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Citibank Secured Card Denial Letter

Exactly two weeks ago, I sent in an application for the Citi Secured Mastercard with the my cashier's check to open up the CD for this type of account. Last week I received a missed call from Citibank and called the number back, which of course the automated system referred me to a toll free number for applications. I called that number, followed the prompts, then was connected to a CSR who I explained my reasons for calling. She had me to verify the information on the application I submitted, placed me on hold for about 30 seconds, then came back to tell me that I should hear something within 7-10 business days because my application was still under review. I didn't know what to make of this. After reading some of the older posts in this forum, most people don't have much luck getting this secured card for some reason or another and so I was looking forward to a rejection letter and my money back. I have some negative old accounts that haven't fallen off my CR yet, two CAs that I am paying on, no BK at all, and figured that these two things would be their basis to deny me the card.

Well, today I received a letter in the mail from them and of course there was no hard plastic inside. However, the reason for my denial  had nothing to do with my credit report (at least in wasn't stated in the letter). Their reason is stated as follows: We are unable to establish an account for you at this time because we could not verify the accuracy of the information and/or documentation that was submitted. Then it just goes on to state that my money has been sent back to me, which was included in the envelop as well.

My question, has anyone else had a similar outcome. And if so, how did you proceed. I provided them with a copy of my DL, U.S.Passport, and home phone bill. I wasn't aware of anything else that they needed, because the rep didn't ask for any additional information, nor did I receive any other phone calls from them. At this point, I don't even know if I should reapply for the card or try some other CCC. I'm in the rebuilding stage of my credit and only have a HSBC Mastercard (unsecured) with a $300 limit that I got about a month ago. I've got a couple hard inq. On my report because of my attempts to get cc from others. Maybe I should just wait and try again in 6 months. Thanks guys for letting me rant and ask a question. LOL

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Citibank Secured Card Denial Letter

It will probably help with any app, If you wait until you have 6 months of positive reporting from HSBC

Capital One and HSBC are usually much easier to get for rebuilders.   CITI is not easy to get for rebuilding, you might want to wait on them.

Message 2 of 3
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Re: Citibank Secured Card Denial Letter

@Wolf3 wrote:

It will probably help with any app, If you wait until you have 6 months of positive reporting from HSBC

Capital One and HSBC are usually much easier to get for rebuilders.   CITI is not easy to get for rebuilding, you might want to wait on them.

Thank you. I think that would be the wise thing to do also. Smiley Happy

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.