Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank and tax returns...

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Citibank and tax returns...

Just sharing...

Long story short, someone created a "secret phone password" for my CITI cc.  Never knew it so I couldn't give it to them over the phone.  I could verify EVERYTHING else, but without that secret phone password, it was a no go.

The only way to get around that, I was told, was to sign a form to allow them to get the last 3 years worth of IRS tax returns AND transcripts.  I told them no, I would not do that.  My tax returns had absolutely NOTHING to do with me trying to pay my bill.   The rep closed my account on the spot, but didn't tell me.  She told me the form was being mailed out.  (It was mailed out.)

I called back a few hours later and spoke to a new rep.  She confirmed that they needed my IRS transcripts to "prove" who I was since social security was reporting someone else with my soc number!  I called social security and they confirmed that they will NOT verify identity to anyone or any company.  

Armed with this confirmation, I called back and spoke to a new rep.   Sheepishly, she said they don't actually talk to social security - they use a data service.  She refused to tell me who, but told me to sign the form so they could access my last 3 years of tax returns.  (NO!)

I called back a 4th time.  New rep.  She acknowledged that they do use a data service and the data service was reporting someone else with my soc.  Huh?  She would not give me the data service information.   I made it to a supervisor who understood my logic.

I never created a secret phone password.  I am who I am, and if I showed up at a branch with two forms of photo ID, that should confirm my identity.  She said no go.  Had to have IRS tax returns directly from the IRS.  I pointed out that if they are using an unknown data service (not my credit reports) to verify identity and the information is wrong, I had a right to get it corrected.  She still wouldn't say who the data corrupt people are.  But she did say that someone else was associated with my address.  I guessed correctly who it was.  (Really, it was pretty easy to guess.)   Then she told me that my card had been closed, but she would reopen it.  THEN she told me to fill out and return the form for the IRS or my account would be closed at the end of the month.

Smiley Mad  You have go to be kidding??   My card expired at the end of the month.  They sent a new one.  A month later, I tried to use it.  Denied.  Called them up -- it just needed to be activated.  SO, I activated it, and used it.  

No IRS tax returns for them!

Really?  Three years of tax transcripts & returns to verify who you are???

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Citibank and tax returns...

Smiley Surprised

Oh, wow, this belongs on Planet Feedback if ever I heard it.

Either their "security" measures are completely screwed, or they are manufacturing reasons to verify your income and possibly drop your CL.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 15
IOBA
Senior Contributor

LOL - it was such a scam!  I use the card once a year and always pay it off immediately.  Never close to the limit.   

The whole IRS tax returns/transcripts -- bogus!

The whole refusing to tell me who the data collection agency is that they use -- bogus!   Really, how can I correct incorrect information if I don't know the source?

Any suggestions from ANYONE on how to get the names & contact information for data collection services??  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I've had a couple CSR give me hints. No that's your other account Mr. B. Why so much trouble? 

Message 4 of 15
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I  never did learn what the "secret phone password" was.  They did give me hints...starts with L and is 5 letters long and ends with Y.  Not even close to anything I have ever had as a password.  And I tried countless combinations of words starting with L and ending with Y, but never got it.

But I do want to know what this "data company" is that they use to verify identity.

Message 5 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

I  never did learn what the "secret phone password" was.  They did give me hints...starts with L and is 5 letters long and ends with Y.  Not even close to anything I have ever had as a password.  And I tried countless combinations of words starting with L and ending with Y, but never got it.

But I do want to know what this "data company" is that they use to verify identity.

Loony. So they're using Lexis/Nexis huh? Good luck. 

Message 6 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

+1

Lexis/Nexis is an excellent guess.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 15
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Smiley Surprised

How does anyone contact them, get a copy of the report, and make corrections???  Please tell!!!

Message 8 of 15
ma_fico
Regular Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

Smiley Surprised

How does anyone contact them, get a copy of the report, and make corrections???  Please tell!!!

L/N consumer info and website:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/privacy/for-consumers/request-personal-information.aspx

Mine hasn't arrived yet, so don't know what's on it.

You can also opt out.

Info at the link above.

Message 9 of 15
d170
Regular Contributor

Have you tried using a different customer service number.  I could understand having to submit a utility bill but I wouldn't submit anything that if got into the wrong hands could reek havoc on your credit/idenity.  As far as a secret question there has to be someone from the higher up that can allow you to reset it.  Instead of asking for a supervisor ask to speak with a manager or an AVP  (assistant vice president) or VP (vice president) thats just some of citi jargon..  Sometimes you have to ask the right questions to get to the right person

Time to Garden!!
EQ 703 TU 752 EX 711 as of 07/19/2014. In the garden until 01/19/2015. Baby steps, baby steps!! Trying for 750 ACROSS THE BOARD.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.