Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank...why must you do this? :(

tag
jimmy2000
New Contributor

Citibank...why must you do this? :(

So, I got my new Costco Anywhere Visa Card in the mail a few days ago.  Turns out I got a Visa Signature card as part of the card, and coupled with the rewards I was SUPER excited to move most of my spending onto it.

I activated the card, set up the mobile app, and off to the races to start with a tank of gas.  Everything worked fine.

I added the card to Apple Pay on my phone and was prompted to call in.  They told me additional verification was needed and that I would receive a letter in the mail in a few days, and I could call in once I receive the letter.  Seemed odd, but whatever.

I then, the next day get a notification on my app that states that unusual activity has been detected, and that I need to call Citibank urgently.   I call in, and explain the message I received.  They told me that it's okay, and that it's only showing up due to Apple Pay not being active yet.

2 days later, I'm at Costco and the card is declined at the food court for a $2 slice of pizza and soda.  I thought it was odd, but no big deal, I'll use my debit card.  I then go to get gas again, and declined again.  I'm confused.  Then the next day, it works for gas and an actual Costco trip, but then declined at the food court again.

Finally, I call in.  They told me that neither my cell phone number (that I've had active for years) or my home phone are valid methods of verification, and that I will not be able to use my credit card until the letter comes in the mail.  I get it, fraud deterrence.  But, I'm calling from my cell phone, which was on my application, and is registered online, and I can verify EVERYTHING about me, because I am me.

Why must you do this Citi?  I WANT to use your card but it seems like you don't want my business.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citibank...why must you do this? :(

Yea Citi is horrible. I applied for the rewards + card and was told they need to verify who I am. Ok I call and just like yourself I was told can’t verify your phone which I also have had for years. They could not even verify my email. They send the stupid letter with a code on it which I call back to give them and they say it’s the wrong code! **bleep**!!! It’s there own stupid letter. After that I told them to withdraw my app I won’t have anything ever again to do with them. Insane. I lost the HP to those fools but whatever.
Message 2 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

This verification is for your own protection. Citi is looking out for you. 

Once you close the loop on verification, things should be better.  Hopefully that verification is just the one letter.  

When did you last change where you live? 

This looks like your first Citi card, or is your Siggy incomplete?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 19
Dervrak
Valued Member

Yeah Citibank is fanatical about their fraud deterance nonsense. I had signed up for one of those music streaming services a few years back. My card was immeditately locked and I started getting the "emergency fraud alert, contact Citibank immediately" calls and text messages. So I call them to ask what the problem was, they state the charge to the music service didn't fit my "normal spending pattern" so it triggered a fraud alert and locked my account. I told them the charge was ok, it really was me and and they approved the charge. Fine right?

Not so fast. As soon as the charge hit the second month the exact same thing happened. Called again and was given the same spiel. I told them again that, yes I had signed up for the service and it was a monthly reoccuring charge. They said they would make a note on my account, lifted the account freeze and allowed the charge. Untill....

Another month passes and the EXACT same thing happens. So I call a third time, getting a little annoyed by this point. I explain the issue and told the the CS rep a note was suppose to be put on my account explaining this monthly charge. The CS rep says, "Yep, I see the note right here." So I respond, "Well then why am I getting another fraud alert and my account locked?!?" She responds, "Oh, the note doesn't stop the fraud alerts, those are automatic, you will still need to call in. Best I can tell you is the fraud alert system will probably figure out this is a normal charge eventually, but this will likely happen every month until then."

So at that point I was fed up and switched the charge to a different card (USAA) and never heard a single peep from USAA about it.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh if Citi did this with me then they would lose another customer.  They're not worth the hassel for what they offer.  I've had issues with other lenders like Chase/WF on the first swipe triggering a fraud alerrt / call to clear situation but, Citi hasn't been an issue.  

Citi in my book doesn't rank too high on the ladder for lenders of choice.  They tend to be low CL's upon opening, SP CLI's are lower than other lenders, $25 redemptions, unable to combine cards w/o jumping through hoops to get it done, online messaging is useless, and the list goes on.  

If you needed a reason to move on.... 

Message 5 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What, no Cap One hate today?Smiley Wink

I too would get upset if it has repeatedly but thats Citi for ya. Ive had it happen to me when paying my health insursnce. Since there was months no sctivity putting on a charge that seems legit but out of the blue makes them go wonky. Since then been ok but these frsud checks are price we pay sometimes with CitiSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 19
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@jimmy2000 wrote:

So, I got my new Costco Anywhere Visa Card in the mail a few days ago.  Turns out I got a Visa Signature card as part of the card, and coupled with the rewards I was SUPER excited to move most of my spending onto it.

I activated the card, set up the mobile app, and off to the races to start with a tank of gas.  Everything worked fine.

I added the card to Apple Pay on my phone and was prompted to call in.  They told me additional verification was needed and that I would receive a letter in the mail in a few days, and I could call in once I receive the letter.  Seemed odd, but whatever.

I then, the next day get a notification on my app that states that unusual activity has been detected, and that I need to call Citibank urgently.   I call in, and explain the message I received.  They told me that it's okay, and that it's only showing up due to Apple Pay not being active yet.

2 days later, I'm at Costco and the card is declined at the food court for a $2 slice of pizza and soda.  I thought it was odd, but no big deal, I'll use my debit card.  I then go to get gas again, and declined again.  I'm confused.  Then the next day, it works for gas and an actual Costco trip, but then declined at the food court again.

Finally, I call in.  They told me that neither my cell phone number (that I've had active for years) or my home phone are valid methods of verification, and that I will not be able to use my credit card until the letter comes in the mail.  I get it, fraud deterrence.  But, I'm calling from my cell phone, which was on my application, and is registered online, and I can verify EVERYTHING about me, because I am me.

Why must you do this Citi?  I WANT to use your card but it seems like you don't want my business.

Interesting. I apped the day that it Citi went live with Costco and haven't had any problem since. Granted, I do have a Citi AA. Maybe that helped with my verification??? Your SL may also grow depending on your profile. It's not a bad card. I use it just enough so that it pays for itself, membership and all. Win Win!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 7 of 19
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

sounds like they are protecting him alright, protecting him from Citi's idiotic processes. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 19
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Just how citi bank works. They are a major PITA at times.
My mother had just been approved for a citi card the month before a big trip to the Bahamas. She got the card had used it and paid it off before the trip. Did the fraud alerts and trip notification thing on the app and called.

First day of the trip. Shut off the card and refused to reactivate it until she could provide a fraud code that was texted to her house phone. First off if your on vacation how do they expect you to answer your home phone and second how do you text a landline ?! That’s citi for you.

On both my citi cards they started with that fraud stuff and I told them after the 3rd phone call within 24 hours that if it happens again. They might as well cancel the card because I was done. Haven’t had a fraud alert since 🤷‍♂️

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 9 of 19
yfan
Valued Contributor

Is your cell phone plan a pre-paid plan by any chance? Often times those numbers can't be 'verified' as yours since there is no periodic billing associated with those accounts. It's dumb, but it kind of is how it works. They don't care that it's the number listed on your application - you are not listed as the "owner" of this number because there's no regular billing (no one is listed as the owner of your number, probably). Citi has done this to me, and this ended up being the culprit.

I'm sure the banks are aware of this. I hope they can come up with alternate methods of verification soon.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.