Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on Chase Profile "Bucket"

tag
Roy-Batty-6
Valued Member

Clarification on Chase Profile "Bucket"

I want to get clarification on how the Chase profile bucket works and is it better to apply for a new card after a rebuild or to attempt to CLI on cards opened prior to a score collapse?

I have Chase FU and Slate -- both CLs of $500 -- I've had them for 3 years and 3.3  years, respectively. I haven't requested a CLI since I opened the accounts as I went through a tough spell where my score tanked. I anticipate my scores going above 680 after December's reporting.

The Slate card offers nothing, so I want to combine the CL with the FU or PC to something else (once I have scores over 700). However, once I'm over 700 I'll have a high score than I had when I originally was approved, so is it going to be tricky to a PC or do I apply for a new card and cancel the Slate?

Starting Score: 447 - 5/2019, FICO 9 by Wells Fargo
Current Score: 732 - 1/2022, FICO 9 by Wells Fargo
Goal Score:770

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

4/2022
7 REPLIES 7
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Clarification on Chase Profile "Bucket"

Chase has nice subs and your cl is only $500. Based on that, I would apply for a new card. I'm not so certain I would close your Slate however. If you read the forum regarding closing cards, the subject has been discussed quite a bit. 

Message 2 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

CSP and CSR have nice bonuses, but I'd keep the Slate in case you end up being able to convert it to a 5x Freedom.

Chase is (for the time being, at least) pretty flexible about CL reallocations, so if you get some giant SL in the future on a new account you can always move some over.

And (if your signature is up-to-date) with a 621 EX you'll want all the good history (with Chase, and in general) you can get.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 8
vision_20
Valued Member

Are you familiar with which report Chase pulls from? Also I’d be interested in what you decided to do and how it turned out because we are at similar decisions right now.

Message 4 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Might be best to apply for a new card as they *may* (emphasis on MAY) give a more generous SL than if you were to try for a CLI. Sometimes it's easier to just do that than to try to get a CLI on an existing card, especially if said card started low to begin with. Either way you're gonna take a HP, the only difference is if you open a new account, you'll lower your AAoA and AoYA.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 8
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I have seen more DPs of high credit lines with new accounts than CLI for Chase. I have seen $500-$1000 approvals for new cards as well however. 

Perhaps because it's a hard pull, people rather apply for a card. That and they have a good amount of good cards. 

Message 6 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

There is no profile bucket. Your approval reflects the state your credit was in at the time of your approval.
That's easily remediated by asking for CLI (HP, results can go either way), or new application.
While it's true that better results are seen with new Chase apps, your results will depend on the state your CR is in now
There is no guarantee you'd do better just because it's a new account.
The only way to find out is to apply.
Message 7 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@vision_20 wrote:
Are you familiar with which report Chase pulls from? Also I’d be interested in what you decided to do and how it turned out because we are at similar decisions right now.

Experian seems the most common. Sometimes a second report is pulled. Practices may potentially vary by state, credit risk, Chase's familiarity with the customer, etc.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.