Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean AMEX house?

tag
egaithe
Regular Contributor

Clean AMEX house?

I apped for 2  AMEX cards in May of 2016, got Delta and Hilton. Both were for $1,000. I was just happy to be in. Apped for the ED and SPG in January of 2018, $1,000 each. My Delta has been increased to $2,000, auto-luv. I have too many now, which ones should I get rid of? I was denied for 3X on all of them. Thanks in advance.

EQ-660, TU-687, EX-646
Goal: 750s in all
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Clean AMEX house?

First of all your ex score is too low for increases.  Second, only you can know which cards to get rid of based on which cards your use must and what's best for your spend.  Third, once you decided you can move all but $500 of the CL to the card(s) you want to keep.  Last, once your ex score increases at least 680 or above request a CLI.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Assuming:

-You got the Delta Gold card

-You haven't converted it to a different Delta card

-You don't have status with Delta

How much has the Delta card saved you over two years in checked bag fees?

How do you like the point earning rates and point value of Hilton vs. SPG?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 12
egaithe
Regular Contributor

I have the Platinum Delta.  Delta is not my preference, so I fly maybe 2-3 times a year with them. I really like United, but Chase won't let me in. Love the Hilton, my preference; trying to see what SPG is about.

@wasCB14wrote:

Assuming:

-You got the Delta Gold card

-You haven't converted it to a different Delta card

-You don't have status with Delta

How much has the Delta card saved you over two years in checked bag fees?

How do you like the point earning rates and point value of Hilton vs. SPG?

EQ-660, TU-687, EX-646
Message 4 of 12
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@redpatwrote:

First of all your ex score is too low for increases.  Second, only you can know which cards to get rid of based on which cards your use must and what's best for your spend.  Third, once you decided you can move all but $500 of the CL to the card(s) you want to keep.  Last, once your ex score increases at least 680 or above request a CLI.

👏🏽👏🏽 Get them scores up and report straight, you can get a CLI! GOOD LUCK!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd rid the delta and ED then if you're not gonna make use of them...just spend and pif on the hilton and spg....get scores up and eventually the CLI window will come. More of a charge card user so only so much insight I can give. When I did my CLI on BCE I was around ~720. 10k->25k

Message 6 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I'd rid the delta and ED then if you're not gonna make use of them...just spend and pif on the hilton and spg....get scores up and eventually the CLI window will come. More of a charge card user so only so much insight I can give. When I did my CLI on BCE I was around ~720. 10k->25k

I don't know if i would get rid of ED , I like to have ED around since it has no af and its the only card out there that has no AF that can be transferred to travel partners so i would like to keep it just to house mr when you don't have another MR card

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cleaned AMEX house this week and they weren't too happy lol. Sliced about four cards in one day (out of six). I decided to keep my Delta Platinum and Everyday open. As the year goes on, I think there's going to be a big shift away from AMEX and towards Visa/MasterCard again, except for my once a year Delta redemptions with the companion certificate.

The reason I'm shifting is because I'm moving to the Citi Prestige in June, which offers $250 off airfare, better purchase protections, better travel protections, and I still get 2x on dining/entertainment - 3x on airfare/hotels - 1x on everything else. With the Prestige, there's no use in having a Premier Rewards Gold or a Platinum for that matter. The only downside is that TY points don't convert to Delta, but they do convert to Jet Blue, which is great since that's my preferred airline. Then again, I'd get a better value out of the portal with 1.25 cpp than by transferring directly to Delta anyways (in most case). 

Trust me OP, thining the heard isn't a bad thing. Not everyone needs lots of credit cards - sometimes simplicity is much better. 

Message 8 of 12
egaithe
Regular Contributor

Great Feedback!

@Anonymouswrote:

I cleaned AMEX house this week and they weren't too happy lol. Sliced about four cards in one day (out of six). I decided to keep my Delta Platinum and Everyday open. As the year goes on, I think there's going to be a big shift away from AMEX and towards Visa/MasterCard again, except for my once a year Delta redemptions with the companion certificate.

The reason I'm shifting is because I'm moving to the Citi Prestige in June, which offers $250 off airfare, better purchase protections, better travel protections, and I still get 2x on dining/entertainment - 3x on airfare/hotels - 1x on everything else. With the Prestige, there's no use in having a Premier Rewards Gold or a Platinum for that matter. The only downside is that TY points don't convert to Delta, but they do convert to Jet Blue, which is great since that's my preferred airline. Then again, I'd get a better value out of the portal with 1.25 cpp than by transferring directly to Delta anyways (in most case). 

Trust me OP, thining the heard isn't a bad thing. Not everyone needs lots of credit cards - sometimes simplicity is much better. 

EQ-660, TU-687, EX-646
Message 9 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If you're flying Delta 2-3 times a year, I'd reconsider keeping that one open unless you always fly alone. The free bag for you and your entire entourage alone should cover the entire AF, and the companion certificate could be worth a considerable amount depending on where you're flying.  If you do always fly alone, it may be worth considering a downgrade to the lower AF Gold SkyMiles to keep the free bags and onboard discount perks.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.