Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning house

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleaning house

I just closed my Synchrony Evine card, don't know why I even applied for it to begin with.  Had it for ~2 years, and get no benefits from having it, especially not the 28.24% interest!  Smiley Mad  I don't like to carry balances, but still.  

Also looking into closing my Amex Platinum card.  I just don't do enough traveling like I thought I would to justify even having the thing.  I almost closed it last go 'round, but they convinced me to stay by giving me the option of only paying $300 dollars for the renewal.  I figured I'll go ahead and give it another year, but it just ain't happening.

The third I'm seriously considering closing is my Barclay Arrival+ card.  The interest is not bad, but dangit, I just have too many other cards to choose from.  The interest is not too bad at 21.24%, but I just haven't been using the thing.  I may just SD it and put smaller charges on it, I don't know.  It's one of the first cards I got when I found this bleeping site Smiley LOL  and started to rebuild my credit, so I may just hold on too it, don't know.

I'm really thing my Fidelity Rewards Signature Visa should be my go-to card, but I also have a State Farm Rewards Visa that I just got with a 0% BT that I'm taking advantage of.  

Anyway, just thought I'd share.  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cleaning house

I'm a firm believer in never paying an AF for a CC. While many may reap the rewards, I know I am not one of them. . 

Message 2 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I'm a firm believer in never paying an AF for a CC. While many may reap the rewards, I know I am not one of them. . 

Amen brother/sister! These days they pay me to carry their card, with usage rewards and usually a SUB.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Preach ON!!!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of Plat cancellations, wonder if AMEX will bring on something more enticing than the 5x on FHR in 2018 to try and keep/bring on more users.

Message 5 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ahhh, i wish i had the Jake of all credit cards, everytime id whip it out id say im hideous but wear KhakisSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any fee card I’d get rid of. They are only worth it if the perks outweigh the fee. One other option is PC the card to a no fee one. Any non fee card I’d just SD it and maybe put a small recurring charge on. Say Netflix or something. Then just use the cards you like to use.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same page here.  Going to close my Amex Plat at some point 3/2018 and will close my Chase CSR this year prior to the AF. I kept the CSR after year one and paid the AF to not risk getting listed internally with Chase as bonus hunting, etc. due to the 100K.  I'll split the CSR credit line between my existing Amazon Prime and Marriott Premier cards.

The only way I keep the Amex Plat is if they wave the entire AF and I simply know I don't run nearly enough through that card for them to consider that option.

Also at some point this year I need to attempt a product change with Citi on my Prestige card.

Message 8 of 13
bluntco
Valued Contributor

I got the state farm rewards card in December. I use it to pay my state farm life insurance, then pif Otherwise, It would be a with the SD party.
I'm thinking I do not need PRG for $195 a year, which is coming up in March. Do they ever offer you a deal if you threaten to cancel? AMEX makes no money off of me.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Lots of Plat cancellations, wonder if AMEX will bring on something more enticing than the 5x on FHR in 2018 to try and keep/bring on more users.

I just read on DoC that the CSR has a 90% retention rate and users have an average annual spend of $39K. I'm not sure what comparable stats are on the Platinum card but I’d imagine Amex is nervous.  I think you’re on to something. 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-sapphire-reserve-statistics-90-retention-rate-39000-annual-spend/

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.