Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Chase amazon?

tag
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

Close Chase amazon?

Okay so I have had my Chase amazon since 2014 or 15, I don't remember. I signed up for it at the time as it gave me $75 off on my hdtv in grad school. It was a lot of money to me then.

Anyways come 2016, I don't use the card at all anymore. I was wondering if I should just close it and transfer the whole line or most of it to freedom. My freedom is already a sig and it'd bring the limit to almost 10k. I use the freedom on its 5% categories only. The extra credit line would help utilization.

I have amazon covered by Sallie so I don't really need it per say. Amazon is a visa sig as well so I'm contemplating that and if its worth the AAoA since its already 1 to 2 years old.

I'm not in a hurry to decide this and I'd thought I get some second opinions.

Thanks!

-Sabre
My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Close Chase amazon?

in the long term, you would be better off moving the limit over to your Freedom, IMO.

I am reaching a point of going over my card list, and planning to consolidate or close some if they are really never going to be used.

Message 2 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi, well in my opinion if you dont use it lose itSmiley Happy. Especially if you can transfer most of your limit yo orher card that can in essence serve same purpose, i say why not?. Still a newb but if i had that option that would be how i would do it. Best regards on your decision!! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 25
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

I think I'm leaning more on closing it. Time to close the EO!! XP
Message 4 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Just call and move the entire limit to Freedom and close it up!

Message 5 of 25
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

I just got off the phone with them. They let me transfer my entire limit! Sweet!! 9k on freedom! Thanks for the input everyone! Just have to wait till July to use it on dining. Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

in the long term, you would be better off moving the limit over to your Freedom, IMO.

I am reaching a point of going over my card list, and planning to consolidate or close some if they are really never going to be used.

Same here.  Focusing on most used cards, best rewards, lowest apr's, etc.  Arrival is going bye bye first, and sooner than I thought.  Just got a BECU PLOC soft pull approval, 7500 limit, 8.9%.  Liking my CUs.  Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Hi, well in my opinion if you dont use it lose itSmiley Happy. Especially if you can transfer most of your limit yo orher card that can in essence serve same purpose, i say why not?. Still a newb but if i had that option that would be how i would do it. Best regards on your decision!! Smiley Happy

Another strong consideration.

Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@MoneyBurns wrote:
I just got off the phone with them. They let me transfer my entire limit! Sweet!! 9k on freedom! Thanks for the input everyone! Just have to wait till July to use it on dining. Smiley Very Happy

Congrats (did not know EO was open on Saturday?)

Signature needs updating
Message 9 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MoneyBurns wrote:
Okay so I have had my Chase amazon since 2014 or 15, I don't remember. I signed up for it at the time as it gave me $75 off on my hdtv in grad school. It was a lot of money to me then.

Anyways come 2016, I don't use the card at all anymore. I was wondering if I should just close it and transfer the whole line or most of it to freedom. My freedom is already a sig and it'd bring the limit to almost 10k. I use the freedom on its 5% categories only. The extra credit line would help utilization.

I have amazon covered by Sallie so I don't really need it per say. Amazon is a visa sig as well so I'm contemplating that and if its worth the AAoA since its already 1 to 2 years old.

I'm not in a hurry to decide this and I'd thought I get some second opinions.

Thanks!

-Sabre

I see you have closed it, and I think that is a good decision (with the CL transfer).   Just note though that in the long term you can't rely on Sallie to cover Amazon (Citi Forward died today for that, sob sob!).    But the Chase Amazon card is only 3% anyway, so just 1% more than a general 2% card, and, hopefully, if Sallie dies the Amazon Prime store card will still be doing 5%.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.