Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Credit One?

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Close Credit One?

My credit rebuild journey is over, has been over, and now i'm affraid to close the Credit One because it's my oldest card. So, my question is:

Should i close it, even though it is my oldest card? My goal is to get my scores in the 800s or as close as possible, get my total available credit above 100k across all cards, and i plan to open 3-4 more CC's and an Amex charge card over the next 6-24 months.

Is there any possibility i would be able to get them to drop the $99 AF if i threaten to close it?

The $99 AF wouldn't be that bad to just deal with for a little bit longer, however they throw $8.25 every month on the card, instead of the full $99 as a one time fee.

Looking for opinions, thoughts, and everything in between.

Thanks!

|  
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Close Credit One?

If you have ANY other cards, it's time to close Credit One.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When the question is whether or not to close Credit One, the answer is always "Yes."

Message 3 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I am guessing that your concern is losing account age, since it is your oldest card. But, you will not lose account age for a decade, by which time it probably won't matter. It will stay on your credit for around ten years even after being closed.

Short answer, yes, I'd close it. JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4 of 9
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Should you close your Credit One card/account... Answer is almost always Yes, yes, oh yes......Uhm  yes?

This card is like a tissue, you use it (to get a better product) and then you throw it away...

Every time someone closes a subprime or predatory account, a credit angel gets their wings..........

-J

Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CC1? SI SISmiley Wink
Message 6 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

yes.gif

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They will miss you and they will let you know for the next two years Smiley Happy GL when you actually call to close it.
Message 8 of 9
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

yes.gif

LOL

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.