Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Low Limit Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close Low Limit Cards?

I was just approved the other day for a $15k NFCU CashRewards card so was thinking about closing my lower limit cards to shake that low limit stigma.

I had a $700 Credit One that had an AF, so that was a no brainer and I cancelled that this morning. They tried to keep it open by waiving AF until 2/19 and a $15 credit, not sure how many people fall for that.

I have two lower limit Capital One cards as well that Im not sure about. One is a Platinum MC, $750 limit. The other is a Quicksilver One with a $500 limit. The Quicksilver does have a $39 AF. Since these cards are likely bucketed with no real chance of growing, would it make sense to close them? I only have a year or less with both cards.

I also have a $1500 Discover IT card which I was thinking was best to keep.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Noximus03
New Contributor

Re: Close Low Limit Cards?

I made my last Cap1 payments monday, they posted this am for a zero balance. I got off the phone with them about 20 minutes ago and had them shut my QS and QS1 cards down for use, but not yet cancelled. I'm going to give it 10 days to make sure nothing pushes through before I pull the trigger on a full cancellation. 

The day after I got that approval for the NFCU $15k limit, I got approval for a $1500 Discover that I'll for sure be keeping, but Firemedic made a good point of why keep lower tier cards when I have two top tier cards now. Especially since the utility wont really be affected, and the AAoA is less than a year on both Cap1's. Bye Bye bucket cards. 

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say look at the Venture cards and see if either of them works for you. If so, call and find out if either of your cards can be product changed to the Venture. then ask about combining your existing CL into that card and closing the other card, then product change your card to the Venture.

If you want to open more strong accounts, its probably not gonna look great if half of the cards you've ever opened were closed in less than a year. So you should at least try to find a way to get some utility out of one of your capital one cards, or at least to not cost you anything then just sock drawer it until you've established more strong accounts.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead of closing why not just do CLI's?

I dont see the point of closing cards, unless you want to kill an AF. 

Message 4 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, totally up to you.

I wouldn't PC them to Venture, though. Why incur a higher AF if you don't foresee the need to use it in that regard?

What you could potentially try, if this route is suitable or successful, see whether they grow CLI-wise and/or combine them down the road. You can try to see if the QS PC would be available.

However, if you feel that you have outgrown them, regardless how long you've had them, closure is perfectly ok.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried to CLI both cards but they were credit steps and I feel like they are bucketed as low limits.
Message 6 of 15
Noximus03
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have tried to CLI both cards but they were credit steps and I feel like they are bucketed as low limits.

Same

Message 7 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You can close the Capital One cards if you'd like. But scoring likes three cards. That's not mission critical, but you already have the cards to accomplish that until you eventually find a replacement.

I'd see if the Platinum can be product-changed into a Quicksilver, and I'd look to combine the QuicksilverOne into the no-fee card.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get rid of that low limit card with the AF. It makes no sense to have that.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar Venture One has no fee, venture is waived year one. If he's gonna close the card ultimately anyway it doesn't really matter but my point is he should keep it open at least long enough to establish stronger cards and hey if he can product change it to a card that will give him some utility then that's even better still.

I almost suggested the Quicksilver instead of the Venture but considering that the Navy Federal card he just open is a 1.5% cash back on all purchases card it's redundant for him to get the no annual fee Quicksilver card. I'm not strongly familiar with capital one's offerings but offhand The Venture Card is the only other thing I could think of that is notable
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.