cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close QS1 now that I have Chase FU + Charles Schwab?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close QS1 now that I have Chase FU + Charles Schwab?

I have plans to travel after college (in about a year) so I got a CC with CaptialOne because of the no FTF. Have had the card for 2 years and not a single credit increase from $500, even after requesting several times over the years. My starter card is now a QuicksilverOne and I know I'm about to get hit with the annual fee soon, either this coming bill or the next. 

Sick of CaptialOne, I applied for a Chase Freedom Unlimited and got it for 2.5k, which is perfect for me (I was only hoping for 1k) and also just got a Charles Schwab checking account. So now I have the credit limit I want and a card(tho debit) with no FTF. I was planning on just ignoring QS1 and using my FU for everything but now I'm thinking about just closing the QS1 and maybe apply for the QS before I travel(if it matters, before I changed my starting card to QS1, I applied for QS and got denied). Is this a good idea?

Already tried to upgrade to QS from QS1, "no upgrade available for my account" they said x.x

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Close QS1 now that I have Chase FU + Charles Schwab?

You did the right thing my trying to upgrade your current card. You could try one last shot by contacting the Capital One Executive Office to see if they will upgrade your QS1 to QS, remove the annual fee and double or triple your limit. This way you avoid opening a new card. Otherwise, c'est la vie; if the card is no longer working for you it may be best to let it go. 

Message 2 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

QS1 is a starter card so it can be tough to break out of the low limit. It may just be time to move on instead of pulling teeth trying to make it something it will never really be.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have plans to travel after college (in about a year) so I got a CC with CaptialOne because of the no FTF. Have had the card for 2 years and not a single credit increase from $500, even after requesting several times over the years. My starter card is now a QuicksilverOne and I know I'm about to get hit with the annual fee soon, either this coming bill or the next. 

Sick of CaptialOne, I applied for a Chase Freedom Unlimited and got it for 2.5k, which is perfect for me (I was only hoping for 1k) and also just got a Charles Schwab checking account. So now I have the credit limit I want and a card(tho debit) with no FTF. I was planning on just ignoring QS1 and using my FU for everything but now I'm thinking about just closing the QS1 and maybe apply for the QS before I travel(if it matters, before I changed my starting card to QS1, I applied for QS and got denied). Is this a good idea?

Already tried to upgrade to QS from QS1, "no upgrade available for my account" they said x.x

If they won't PC it to a QS1, see if they will atleast waive the AF. If not, close it. It will have no impact on your AAOA and IMO I would never pay any kind of AF for an $500 utilization buffer now that you are getting approvals from other lenders.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rotasu would you mind sharing more info such as credit scores, baddies etc. so that we all have a better understanding of your overall situation. With that information I'm sure you could get more recommendations on how to move forward.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Rotasu would you mind sharing more info such as credit scores, baddies etc. so that we all have a better understanding of your overall situation. With that information I'm sure you could get more recommendations on how to move forward.

Credit score: 705-710

No baddies besides hard pulls on my credit

100% payment history

QS1 card 2 years old

I guess once that annuel fee hits my bill, I'm going to give CaptialOne can call to try again for the upraged to QS. If not, closes and rebuild credit with Chase.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You did the right thing my trying to upgrade your current card. You could try one last shot by contacting the Capital One Executive Office to see if they will upgrade your QS1 to QS, remove the annual fee and double or triple your limit. This way you avoid opening a new card. Otherwise, c'est la vie; if the card is no longer working for you it may be best to let it go. 

I'm going to try this once the annuel fee shows up. If I do close the card, do you think I should go back to CaptialOne or look else where for a card with no annuel and no FTF?

I'm already liking Chase because they are honest about their annuel fees. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going to try this once the annuel fee shows up. If I do close the card, do you think I should go back to CaptialOne or look else where for a card with no annuel and no FTF?

I am pretty biased unfortunately. Capital One was my very first credit card 19 years ago and they have been very good to me so I will always have them in my wallet. There are many great things to like about them; the no FTF, decent rewards and the fact that they tend to leave most people alone, meaning very little adverse action etc. But, there does not seem to be much gray with Capital One, they like you or they don't it seems. Plus, any new card would be 3 HPs. More and more cards are offering no FTF. You may want to take a look at Pentagon Federal Credit Union and Navy Federal Credit Union as their cards all have no FTFs and decent rewards plus you would have the benefit of being a member for additional products. 

I am hoping that the Exectutive Office will be able to help you with your existing card. Just let them know when they call you that you are interested in building a long term relationship with them but to do so, you need the card upgraded to meet your evolving needs. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am pretty biased unfortunately. Capital One was my very first credit card 19 years ago and they have been very good to me so I will always have them in my wallet. There are many great things to like about them; the no FTF, decent rewards and the fact that they tend to leave most people alone, meaning very little adverse action etc. But, there does not seem to be much gray with Capital One, they like you or they don't it seems. Plus, any new card would be 3 HPs. More and more cards are offering no FTF. You may want to take a look at Pentagon Federal Credit Union and Navy Federal Credit Union as their cards all have no FTFs and decent rewards plus you would have the benefit of being a member for additional products. 

I am hoping that the Exectutive Office will be able to help you with your existing card. Just let them know when they call you that you are interested in building a long term relationship with them but to do so, you need the card upgraded to meet your evolving needs. 

No luck talking to EO. She was mostly a robot reading a script. Glad to be done with CapitalOne. I guess my next card will be CSP. Thanks for the help.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.