cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Wells Fargo Checking/Savings and Keep the Card?

tag
dhon55
Contributor

Close Wells Fargo Checking/Savings and Keep the Card?

Hi all,

My first card was with Wells Fargo, their College Credit Card.  I just got this card in October, but I first had to get a college checking/savings account combo in order to apply for the card.

Now, some time later, I would prefer to open a high yield savings account (which I have already done), and go ahead and close my checking and savings account with Wells Fargo.  I would like to keep my credit card account open, however.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or would this not be allowed?  I'd like to very clearly illustrate to them when I close (however I go about doing that) that I only want to close the checking and savings, but do want to hold onto my credit card.

Any advice here?

Thanks!

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Re: Close Wells Fargo Checking/Savings and Keep the Card?

+1 i would also like info on this question. Im thinking on closing my checking and savings with WF but i have a cc with them. I know you need to have an account with them in order to have a cc with them.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 2 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Tangential question as I don't have experience with WF; however, if the checking account doesn't come with either a fee or a substantial minimum deposit requirement, what's the reason for wanting to close it?  

I'd think their college account likely has pretty low requirements for both.  

        
Message 3 of 14
mtrea001

Hey guys, I work at wells fargo.  You don't need an account to open a CC or keep one open, it makes it easier to apply but it isn't neccesary for either.  I'm a teller and I see loads of people with just a CC, PLC, or PL.  Close 'em out!

Message 4 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@mtrea001 wrote:

Hey guys, I work at wells fargo.  You don't need an account to open a CC or keep one open, it makes it easier to apply but it isn't neccesary for either.  I'm a teller and I see loads of people with just a CC, PLC, or PL.  Close 'em out!

Interesting since anyone who applies for a WF card without an account with them is instantly denied. 

I was wondering the same thing OP, I logged into my WF Account today to see a $10 fee for my checking account. I've had it for 5-6 months and never gotten a fee before, so I emailed them to see what is up, and if it is going to continue I'll be closing the account. 

Message 5 of 14
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Yeah i read that as well. People applying but being denied instantly for not having a checking/savings account with them.

@jsucool76 yeah they charge monthly fees for WF account. They were charging me 10 dollars per month but they changed my account to a college account but they still charge a 3 dollar fee.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 6 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:
Yeah i read that as well. People applying but being denied instantly for not having a checking/savings account with them.

@jsucool76 yeah they charge monthly fees for WF account. They were charging me 10 dollars per month but they changed my account to a college account but they still charge a 3 dollar fee.

I have the college account and was charged $10. 

I think I know why I got charged, but it still should've only been $3. 

I usually transfer money from my ally MMA, and the ACH transfer counts as a direct deposit with WF, I didn't do that this month. D: 

Message 7 of 14
Doctor_E
Established Member

I've had my WF Platinum CC since I was a freshman in 8/06. I recently closed my WF checking account since I graduated in 2010 and had lost my student status for 2 years. I ran into one problem where they cancelled a payment since I no longer had a checking account linked to the CC, but since then I've been able to just pay the CC bill using the Chase bill pay feature.

In My Wallet: Chase Southwest RR 6k | Best Buy CC 4.6K | Wells Fargo Platinum CC 1.4K | Amazon Store Card 3.5K | Banana Republic Store Card 3K

Current Score: 655 (2/7/18)
Goal Score: 700
Message 8 of 14
Zanarov
Valued Member

I closed my WF checking and savings a few months after I got my college card. They decided it would be a good idea to charge money for having a basic account with them...silly WF. Moved to a local CU and much happier now...better rates and better service.

It's been almost a year now...i think? and I still have my card so I think your safe.

O and ive only had good experiances with thier cards department...I think it was just my local branch that was terrible.
Message 9 of 14
Goalof800
Valued Member

Strange, I also have what I believe is a student account but I have not been charged any fees. If I am charged anything I'll be sure to immediately close the account.

AMEX Zync (NPSL) | AMEX SPG ($5,600) | BoA Cash Rewards ($5,000) | WF Visa ($5,000)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.