Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close or be closed?

tag
princesstooth
New Contributor

Close or be closed?

Discover has been balance chasing me and now they want to close my account.  They gave me a 30 day notice stating they are going to close.  Should I close the account before they close it on their own?  Would letting them close look bad on my credit?  I have a very thick file. No lates, no collections on my credit.

Thanks for advice.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Close or be closed?

@princesstooth wrote:

Discover has been balance chasing me and now they want to close my account.  They gave me a 30 day notice stating they are going to close.  Should I close the account before they close it on their own?  Would letting them close look bad on my credit?  I have a very thick file. No lates, no collections on my credit.

Thanks for advice.

Score wise, there is no difference 

Some people think that it "looks better" on manual review but I have never had it mentioned during mortgage applications nor have I ever heard of someone being denied credit due to having accounts closed by creditor on their reports so I don't personally buy that theory. 

Message 2 of 5
RSX
Valued Contributor

^^agreed

but since they are giving you the chance/time to do it - i would make sure it is fully paid off - all interest paid off

then ask them to close it

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 5
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

I think the question you should be asking why are they balance chasing you?

Does it have something to do with your profile that might trigger a domino effect with your other lenders?

Lenders typically don't balance chase just for minimal to no usage.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@princesstooth wrote:

Thanks for advice.

Doesnt matter,  closed is closed. Since you didnt specify any reason why  you are being  balanced chased nor seemed concerned with it,   i wouldnt put too much thought into its affect via closed by grantor or grantee. There is a bigger issue here but we will  leave that up to you if you would like to discussSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.