Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed CITI secured today

tag
collics
Established Contributor

Closed CITI secured today

Got the dreaded "we're renewing your secured account" letter today for the SECOND time. 

Been secured 2.5 years and they want to keep it secured for another 12 months. 

I'll pass. May apply for a card when I'm done gardening in a couple years. :-)

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Closed CITI secured today

You were far more patient than I was. I opened my Citi Secured card in March 2019. I think I closed it in August 2019. I opened two unsecured Citi cards in March and April 2020 and still have them.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 2 of 9
collics
Established Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

You were far more patient than I was. I opened my Citi Secured card in March 2019. I think I closed it in August 2019. I opened two unsecured Citi cards in March and April 2020 and still have them.

haha guess I kinda was. As you can see in my sig I was distracted with the other cards I obtained after the CITI as my credit started improving. 

I'll do the same as you and apply for unsecured after my 2 year stint in the garden. Another good thing to that is I'll qualify for whatever SUBs are offered at the time versus had I PC'd to another product. 

Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 3 of 9
Satoshi_inu

Just received my 3rd letter for renewal. This will be my 4th year. Secured since November 2019 with 1k deposit. Never missed a payment. Last 2 years always PIF. Other secured discover from 2018 with 500 deposit took 2 year to grad. Now $3k. I do have 3 major baddies tho from 2018. A repo, eviction, and burned navy fed cc 16k. 

Message 4 of 9
collics
Established Contributor

@Satoshi_inu wrote:

Just received my 3rd letter for renewal. This will be my 4th year. Secured since November 2019 with 1k deposit. Never missed a payment. Last 2 years always PIF. Other secured discover from 2018 with 500 deposit took 2 year to grad. Now $3k. I do have 3 major baddies tho from 2018. A repo, eviction, and burned navy fed cc 16k. 

You win oh patient one! 

And 4 years is some good age. May as well keep it.

Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 5 of 9
Satoshi_inu

Right, at this point it's better to keep it and hold out for the PC. Disco and cap 1s are doing very well. 10k in total on cap1s and 3.5k on disco... 1 more year the baddies should fall off as well, so till then gardening... ty

Message 6 of 9
Satoshi_inu

Think this is my 4th review letter I just received today. Been a member since 2019 so it's been 4 yrs. Called and canceled via automated system and received email with confirmation of cancelation. I was hoping to continue my credit journey with citi but the card isnt doing anything for me anymore and i could use the 1k deposit here in few months when apt. rental lease is over. Capital one and discover have filled the void enough so that's that. Currently still at between 625 - 650 fico 8 with 3 bureaus. 3 baddies holding me back which still have a year to consider to drop off. Just got into a new car loan with cap1 so I'm just gardening till my apt rental lease is over in July of 2024... ty to everyone here in myfico community 

Message 7 of 9
collics
Established Contributor

@Satoshi_inu wrote:

Think this is my 4th review letter I just received today. Been a member since 2019 so it's been 4 yrs. Called and canceled via automated system and received email with confirmation of cancelation. I was hoping to continue my credit journey with citi but the card isnt doing anything for me anymore and i could use the 1k deposit here in few months when apt. rental lease is over. Capital one and discover have filled the void enough so that's that. Currently still at between 625 - 650 fico 8 with 3 bureaus. 3 baddies holding me back which still have a year to consider to drop off. Just got into a new car loan with cap1 so I'm just gardening till my apt rental lease is over in July of 2024... ty to everyone here in myfico community 

Yes definitely get your money back! 

They ended up approving me for the Custim Cash April 2023 $2000 SL. 

Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 8 of 9
BuckyB
New Contributor

Keep in mind too that banks almost always keep your security deposit in a savings account that generates essentially zero interest. Maybe 0.01 to 0.1% APY

You could throw that $1000 security deposit into a 12-month CD right now and get about 5% APY which is 50 bucks so your secured card essentially has an annual fee of about $50 right now.

A $2000 secured card would have the equivalent of a $100 annual fee, etc.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.