Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Discover It today

tag
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

Closed Discover It today

Decided to close my Discover It card today. It was about two years old, had a $6,200 limit, and a 21.24% APR that they would not lower. I've been carrying quite a bit of credit card debt ($35k in my name and more in my spouse's), and I thought keeping this card open would not help me get out of debt. I don't think I will miss having this card, because carrying a balance one month eliminates all the gain I get from the 5% categories. In addition, the card was only reporting to Equifax for me, so it was not helping my reports too much overall.  Maybe this was not the wisest credit move in the long run, but I have plenty of other cards and available credit (at least for now), the rest of them are reporting correctly, and I feel a lot better about it. 

Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Closed Discover It today

Keep in mind that APR's are set based on your credit.  If you have a lot of credit card debt then it may not unreasonable for them to not lower your APR.  You definitely have to pay in full to benefit from rewards.

Message 2 of 9
chalupaman
Super Contributor

You have a bunch of other great cards though. Have you considered getting a card like the Barclaycard Ring where you do a BT on some of that debt and pay it down quicker?

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 9
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

Oh, yes. I totally understand that. I just want to prevent myself from charging up more debt at 21.24%. I think my next highest APR is at 15.99%. I'm actually paying 0% on most of the debt though. I have a $2,900 balance sitting on this Discover account, which I am trying to pay off ASAP.
Cards I Carry
Message 4 of 9
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@MACFRME wrote:
Oh, yes. I totally understand that. I just want to prevent myself from charging up more debt at 21.24%. I think my next highest APR is at 15.99%. I'm actually paying 0% on most of the debt though. I have a $2,900 balance sitting on this Discover account, which I am trying to pay off ASAP.

That's great to hear. Big chunk of mine are on the 0 APR cards and I recently did a BT on my CapOne to my Discover for the 12 months 0 APR offer. I've been commited to getting my own debt down too.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 9
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

In regard to a BT, I can't seem to get approved for any new cards right now because of my scores. I have maybe 3 new accounts in the last year, a low AAoA (1 year, 8 months), and I have 5 accounts with balances. I'm only 23, so my file is not very thick. On top of that, I just realized that my auto loan has not been reporting my payments since July of 2014, which I now need to dispute. 

Cards I Carry
Message 6 of 9
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@MACFRME wrote:

Totally understand that.  I might have considered just destroying the card.  You'd have to wait 4 business days to use it if you requested a replacement lol.

Message 7 of 9
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@MACFRME wrote:

In regard to a BT, I can't seem to get approved for any new cards right now because of my scores. I have maybe 3 new accounts in the last year, a low AAoA (1 year, 8 months), and I have 5 accounts with balances. I'm only 23, so my file is not very thick. On top of that, I just realized that my auto loan has not been reporting my payments since July of 2014, which I now need to dispute. 

That's always the most annoying part about trying to get BT cards. They're much harder to get when you really need them. Thankfully there are some rewards cards out there that just happen to have 0 APR BT offers like what Chase offers with their Freedom card, etc. It's like a Catch-22 situation.

Message 8 of 9
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@MACFRME wrote:

I'd have advised you to cut up the card, but that's now water under the bridge.  Instead, go on mint or get the debt free app and pay off all your bills.  Ignore all of the teaser rates and take control of your finances. Work out a pay-off budget that includes your normal monthly expenses like food and gas. Produce an excel spread sheet so that you truly track where your money is going and then stick to it.

Today a lot of people's spending is on fast food and restaurants, because of our fast paced lives. If you eliminated a card, because you thought you'd be tempted to charge, then you need to stop charging until you figure out your budget based on your income. Your first budget is going to be wrong and you'll have to re-evaluate it for a few months before you finally have a budget that works.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.