baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Closed Fingerhut and VS.....See Ya!

Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the closing party! I think that closing is an individual decision. If you have a thin file, you may get more utility by leaving the cards in the SD. However, in your case, you have a quite a few good cards, so good riddance!

RE: United Airlines card. DOOOON'T DOOOO ITTTTTTTT! Mostly because I don't like United, and prefer to fly with basically anybody else who isn't named "US Air." See if Virgin or Southwest have a good offer; Southwest frequently gives away 40k miles with a new card. 

Message 12 of 17
baller4life
Super Contributor

Well with the US Airways card I can transfer the 50k miles to American after the merger next year. I don't particularly like US Airways either. But hey I like the idea of paying the $89 af and getting those miles. Plus there is no minimum spend like most offers. Pretty sweet deal!

Message 13 of 17
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Now that's the way it's done! I'm glad someone on this website understands that closing cards you don't want anymore isn't the end of the world. I had one of those Fingerhut accounts and while they did give me my first CLI, I closed them anyway back in August and haven't looked back.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

Now that's the way it's done! I'm glad someone on this website understands that closing cards you don't want anymore isn't the end of the world. I had one of those Fingerhut accounts and while they did give me my first CLI, I closed them anyway back in August and haven't looked back.

As anyone should.

Message 15 of 17
baller4life
Super Contributor

Nixon are you keeping your US Airways card past the first yr? I will probably close it after I get the anniversary miles and transfer limit to Ring. Trying to get that bad boy to $15,$20k. That is IF I do app US Airways and get approved. Still marinating on it.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Nixon are you keeping your US Airways card past the first yr? I will probably close it after I get the anniversary miles and transfer limit to Ring. Trying to get that bad boy to $15,$20k. That is IF I do app US Airways and get approved. Still marinating on it.

Likely yes. The wife's i'm trying to get them to match the offer, We will keep one of them.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.