Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed GEMB. Reopen?

tag
UpNComing
Established Contributor

Closed GEMB. Reopen?

I recently PIF my GEMB Honda Card with 6000 CL.  The problem is its been closed for 18 months.  My ex girlfriend was on as my cosigner and closed it without my permission.  I called about a week ago and got shot down at the first level.  Is this worth going higher?  Would a GW letter work?  Should I try a backdoor number?  Has anyone else ever tried?
CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closed GEMB. Reopen?

Since this was a joint account and she closed it but you are trying to re-open it, they are going to assume she wants it closed and won't re-open it.  You could probably apply for a new account with just you and be considered off good history with other account.
Message 2 of 5
UpNComing
Established Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:
Since this was a joint account and she closed it but you are trying to re-open it, they are going to assume she wants it closed and won't re-open it.  You could probably apply for a new account with just you and be considered off good history with other account.

That's what I figured.  The history was perfect.  I'm trying to avoid the hard inquiry.  I would have thought that the main account holder would have to give permission to close an account.
CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@UpNComing wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:
Since this was a joint account and she closed it but you are trying to re-open it, they are going to assume she wants it closed and won't re-open it. You could probably apply for a new account with just you and be considered off good history with other account.

That's what I figured. The history was perfect. I'm trying to avoid the hard inquiry. I would have thought that the main account holder would have to give permission to close an account.

Depends on whether she was a joint account holder or an authorized user (AU.) If she was an AU, then they made a mistake.

But if she was a joint user, meaning that she was equally responsible for any and all charges on the card, then she had the right to close the cards, just as you did. If you were the original card holder, and she added on as joint, then you weren't the "main account holder." You were just the other joint account holder.

Another reason not to go joint...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
UpNComing
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Another reason not to go joint...

Well said.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.