Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed/Stolen JCPenney/GEMB card still reporting

tag
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Closed/Stolen JCPenney/GEMB card still reporting

Is it normal for a card that was reported stolen then closed about a dozen or so years ago to still report?! The card has been closed since 97 or 98, it doesn't affect my AAoA, but is still reporting on EX as indicated by True Credit. I would assume I'm in GEMB's good graces because in June I accepted a Sam's Club Discover with a $4400 limit. (yes, I have a real Discover too.)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Closed/Stolen JCPenney/GEMB card still reporting

So it shows as closed, with a closed date of 11-12 years ago, and it's still reporting?

Shush, Mr. Shush, tiptoe away from this one. Smiley Wink As long as it's there, it is still helping your AAoA, because AAoA is determined by the accounts that show on your report, whether open or closed. No telling why they forgot to stop reporting it. Maybe it's because it was reported as stolen, and so it's somehow not in the usual category for ceasing to report. This is a completely wild guess out of nowhere, btw, just the one thing that suggests itself. Every now and again, old closed accounts hang on longer than 10 years. All you can do is be quietly grateful.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
MrShush
Valued Contributor

HTSU, I think you may be right Smiley Wink

Says opened 07/1996 but there are 2 entries for it. Maybe I shouldn't worry.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
So it shows as closed, with a closed date of 11-12 years ago, and it's still reporting?

Shush, Mr. Shush, tiptoe away from this one. Smiley Wink As long as it's there, it is still helping your AAoA, because AAoA is determined by the accounts that show on your report, whether open or closed. No telling why they forgot to stop reporting it. Maybe it's because it was reported as stolen, and so it's somehow not in the usual category for ceasing to report. This is a completely wild guess out of nowhere, btw, just the one thing that suggests itself. Every now and again, old closed accounts hang on longer than 10 years. All you can do is be quietly grateful.

Consider yourself very fortunate. I had an old LOC that was opened and closed over 20 years ago that finally dropped off this year. I have no idea what kept it there all that time. Wish I still had itSmiley Sad

(myfico)
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.