Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Venmo Visa

tag
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Closed Venmo Visa

I have been extremely careful about getting cards that I'm actually going to want to keep long term while doing my current rebuild. When I applied for the Venmo Visa I did it to see what limit they would offer me as based on reports they would not do the hard pull until I accepted the offer. Unfortunately when the application asked for ID Verification I submitted it and ended up with a $250 limit Venmo Visa without the chance to accept or decline. This was in Nov of last year and only a month or 2 into my rebuild so I decided to see if the card would grow. I did not get an increase for 6 months and that was only for double the limit to $500. Waited another 3 statement cuts and called credit solutions to ask for a bump to 5k. Again denied for insufficient experience at the current credit limit. At this point I called in and cancelled the card. The rep tried 3 times to get me to keep it open which I found amusing but I realize that they're just doing their job.  I'm sure that after a few years of hard work I could get it to a respectable limit but I have my current spend categories well covered with the cards in my wallet and I don't see any reason to keep the low limit card open. It can sit happily on my report for another 10 years as closed. I know members of the forum tend towards leaving no fee cards open which I can understand but this one was doing me no favors and I just feel like that low limit was a hindrance.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Closed Venmo Visa

You do you. But I don't see how it would be a hindrance if you have categories well covered and could let it sit unused. It's synchrony, you just have to set a reminder on your phone to charge something once a year. That being said, if you're not gonna use it, it's not going to hurt to close it.

Message 2 of 11
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

Hindrance may have been a bit dramatic on my part lol, I think it's more the regret from having gotten it in the first place.

Message 3 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Ilinferno wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

Hindrance may have been a bit dramatic on my part lol, I think it's more the regret from having gotten it in the first place.

Well, to be fair, it was supposed to be a pre-approval with an option to decline, so I can definitely understand that.

Message 4 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats. Better you close it then to have it unexpectedly closed on you by the Sync bear.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 11
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@Ilinferno wrote:

I have been extremely careful about getting cards that I'm actually going to want to keep long term while doing my current rebuild. When I applied for the Venmo Visa I did it to see what limit they would offer me as based on reports they would not do the hard pull until I accepted the offer. Unfortunately when the application asked for ID Verification I submitted it and ended up with a $250 limit Venmo Visa without the chance to accept or decline. This was in Nov of last year and only a month or 2 into my rebuild so I decided to see if the card would grow. I did not get an increase for 6 months and that was only for double the limit to $500. Waited another 3 statement cuts and called credit solutions to ask for a bump to 5k. Again denied for insufficient experience at the current credit limit. At this point I called in and cancelled the card. The rep tried 3 times to get me to keep it open which I found amusing but I realize that they're just doing their job.  I'm sure that after a few years of hard work I could get it to a respectable limit but I have my current spend categories well covered with the cards in my wallet and I don't see any reason to keep the low limit card open. It can sit happily on my report for another 10 years as closed. I know members of the forum tend towards leaving no fee cards open which I can understand but this one was doing me no favors and I just feel like that low limit was a hindrance.

I see nothing wrong with closing a card if it doesn't "spark joy", regardless of whether or not it has an AF.

You cleaned up, and tightened up, your lineup 👍👍

SD - Biz -
Message 6 of 11
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Congrats. Better you close it then to have it unexpectedly closed on you by the Sync bear.

3X0Z4XX.gif

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ilinferno wrote:

How about Optima? Just curious 

Message 8 of 11
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

@Anonymous 

The Optima is a means to an end, after a year of holding the card I am theoretically back in Amex's good graces. In October I will apply for one of their cards and close the Optima.

Message 9 of 11
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I think closing it was a good idea. I had a Paypal Mastercard that was stuck at $200 for over a year. I finally thrrew in the towel and said Synchrony can suck it after no increases in a year. It's definitely a crappy feeling when you are rebuilding, you show them you are a good customer, and they don't show you any respect, especially when other banks are giving you much higher limits.

If I were you, I would start checking that AmEx pre-qual page. I would also login to Experian and see if there are any pre-approved AmEx offers on there because I have had success with that portal as well, despite my rebuilding status.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.