cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed all my subprime cards yesterday. Officially rebuilt, and in the garden!

tag
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

Closed all my subprime cards yesterday. Officially rebuilt, and in the garden!

My last frontier was renewing my car lease this saturday, for which I kept all my subprime cards open.  Yesterday, I closed them, and locked my reports!! After my mortgage closed in january, and i got all the cards i wanted shortly after with a great SL, I am now fully rebuilt, zero debt (other than my mortgage and lease), and am in the garden permanently! My BK will fall off next summer, and I am officially on my way to a new credit worthy life.  HOORAY!!

I could not have done any of this without this board.  You all taught me so much.  God bless you all!!

Sept 2022 EQ-825 TU-840 EX-830
UTIL: 1%
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closed all my subprime cards yesterday. Officially rebuilt, and in the garden!

That is one Huge Hurdle, you have Conquered!

Message 2 of 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closed all my subprime cards yesterday. Officially rebuilt, and in the garden!

Good work. 

Message 3 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Fantastic job! MyFico Fam 4 life!Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 22
Green456
Established Contributor

@AI_JMV wrote:

My last frontier was renewing my car lease this saturday, for which I kept all my subprime cards open.  Yesterday, I closed them, and locked my reports!! After my mortgage closed in january, and i got all the cards i wanted shortly after with a great SL, I am now fully rebuilt, zero debt (other than my mortgage and lease), and am in the garden permanently! My BK will fall off next summer, and I am officially on my way to a new credit worthy life.  HOORAY!!

I could not have done any of this without this board.  You all taught me so much.  God bless you all!!

There is no better feeling than being debt free. I paid off $20,000 of CC debt earlier this year, now 4 more years until student loans are paid off. I too closed off a bunch of credit cards and have really slimed down my profile. It feels good. I will be gardening most likely until January 2020.

Message 5 of 22
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your rebuild, and keep up the good work!

Message 6 of 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes I agree No better place to be then debt free.

Also it's great to close those cards. I remember when I closed my FP, the guy actually tried to explain FICO to me and asked if I knew how it worked and that closing my card would most definitely hurt my score😂

I replied how so, he went on with closing my account would hurt my age, umm no and that I would be losing some utilization, umm what my 750 limit again NO. He finally just said ok ma'am I will close it.

Giving me a lesson in FICO, yeah ok 😞
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! 

Message 8 of 22
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Way to go! It's great to hear about success stories like this Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 22
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP and Welcome
This is awesome news. A huge congratulations to being CC debt free and getting rid of the subprime cards. Life is good.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.