Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed first card of 2016 and of adult life

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed first card of 2016 and of adult life

So I closed my CSP today since my AF was coming up next month. It's the first card I've ever closed. I'm excited though because I'm going to trim the fat. I have 21 total cards.

Getting rid of:

Ritz

Citi AAdvantage

Barclays Aviator Silver

So 4 cards will be a nice start. All were obtained about a year ago, and most of my other cards are 5-10 years old, so aaoa is still good and I know the closed ones will still report for 10 years.

Keeping Marriott and IHG for AF cards since they pay themselves with annual night. I have other cards that I don't really use (like NASA FCU) but no AF so I'm not quite there yet in closing those.

1 step at a time. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed first card of 2016 and of adult life

Congrats! Those are all great cards to cut from your profile. You should definitely weigh the perks of Ritz vs. Marriott though, since it is the same points system.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! Those are all great cards to cut from your profile. You should definitely weigh the perks of Ritz vs. Marriott though, since it is the same points system.

Hey thanks. I did. It no longer serves a purpose for me. I don't travel much.

Here is where I talk about it:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Close-Ritz-right/m-p/4419860

Message 3 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I closed my CSP today since my AF was coming up next month. It's the first card I've ever closed. I'm excited though because I'm going to trim the fat. I have 21 total cards.

Getting rid of:

Ritz

Citi AAdvantage

Barclays Aviator Silver

So 4 cards will be a nice start. All were obtained about a year ago, and most of my other cards are 5-10 years old, so aaoa is still good and I know the closed ones will still report for 10 years.

Keeping Marriott and IHG for AF cards since they pay themselves with annual night. I have other cards that I don't really use (like NASA FCU) but no AF so I'm not quite there yet in closing those.

In terms of the citi AA card just make sure you realize that by closing the card now you will have to wait 18 months from the date of closure before you can get bonus again vs if you keep it open you will be able to get bonus in about six months if you have had it for a year already and then close it. Depends on your goals though.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Getting rid of:

Ritz

Citi AAdvantage

Barclays Aviator Silver

In terms of the citi AA card just make sure you realize that by closing the card now you will have to wait 18 months from the date of closure before you can get bonus again vs if you keep it open you will be able to get bonus in about six months if you have had it for a year already and then close it. Depends on your goals though.

I can get another bonus with Citi AAdvantage?? I'm planning to see if they'll waive the AF. I'm going to tell them I spent a lot in Barclays Aviator and I want to make Citi primary. I think they may do it. But how do I get another bonus with it open? Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Grats

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Getting rid of:

Ritz

Citi AAdvantage

Barclays Aviator Silver

I can get another bonus with Citi AAdvantage?? I'm planning to see if they'll waive the AF. I'm going to tell them I spent a lot in Barclays Aviator and I want to make Citi primary. I think they may do it. But how do I get another bonus with it open? Thanks!

They gave me a hard time getting a credit for the AF, but others have had it much easier. I ended up getting some sort of retention offer where if I spend X amount they would give me statement credit. The way you get bonus again is you app for a new card after 18 months has passed since you last opened/closed the same card. You do not have to close your old card before apping. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close 'em, Close 'em, Close 'em.

Congratulations Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.