Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my Cap One

tag
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Closed my Cap One

I don't want to sound like a complete hater today but I closed all my accounts with Capital One last week.  The service is great for rebuilding credit, but sucks for anything else.

I opened a secured card with them around 20 months ago for 300.00.  I was told (i didn't even ask) that after some time of consistant payment history, it will convert to an unsecured card (we all here obviously know that to be false).  After about 12 months I had the CL to it's max of 3000.  I did some research off and on but could find no evidence that i could get it convereted.  I even called and talked to some escalation desk and they told me the best I could do was close the account and app for an unsecured card.  I told them if that's what I was doing, it'd be an app with another bank. 

So I did that.  I opened up two USAA cards.  Then I went to the same branch/dude that opened my account and was told I'd have to call in to close it....go figure.  Now imagine my surprise when I called to close my card and was able to do it WITHOUT EVEN TALKING TO SOMEONE.  I literally closed the card through the IVR. 

Once i realized CapOne cared that little about it's secured cards, I went back to the branch and closed my checking account with them as well. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
pt310
Frequent Contributor

Re: Closed my Cap One

@basballguy wrote:

I don't want to sound like a complete hater today but I closed all my accounts with Capital One last week.  The service is great for rebuilding credit, but sucks for anything else.

I opened a secured card with them around 20 months ago for 300.00.  I was told (i didn't even ask) that after some time of consistant payment history, it will convert to an unsecured card (we all here obviously know that to be false).  After about 12 months I had the CL to it's max of 3000.  I did some research off and on but could find no evidence that i could get it convereted.  I even called and talked to some escalation desk and they told me the best I could do was close the account and app for an unsecured card.  I told them if that's what I was doing, it'd be an app with another bank. 

So I did that.  I opened up two USAA cards.  Then I went to the same branch/dude that opened my account and was told I'd have to call in to close it....go figure.  Now imagine my surprise when I called to close my card and was able to do it WITHOUT EVEN TALKING TO SOMEONE.  I literally closed the card through the IVR. 

Once i realized CapOne cared that little about it's secured cards, I went back to the branch and closed my checking account with them as well. 

Congrats on the USAA.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing with Cap1 also. Smiley Frustrated

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.