Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Closed my Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless

Decisions decisions. Hope you get what you want. Threads like pickig up apples. Which on is the redest. Smiley HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Tongue

Message 11 of 19
Aim_High
Senior Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Decisions decisions. Hope you get what you want. Threads like pickig up apples. Which on is the redest. Smiley HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Tongue

Yeah, there's so many ways to "play your cards," @FireMedic1Smiley Tongue

I think I did the right thing for just closing it.  I'm trying to focus mostly on cards that I will carry and use regularly.  The Marriott Boundless and/or Ritz Carlton were both worthy cards to have, but the scales tipped when I considered how either would affect my use of other cards like my AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant or Chase Sapphire Reserve.  So in your analogy, better to have a handful of big, red, juicy apples than a bushel of smaller ones. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 12 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Yeah, there's so many ways to "play your cards," @FireMedic1Smiley Tongue

I think I did the right thing for just closing it.  I'm trying to focus mostly on cards that I will carry and use regularly.  The Marriott Boundless and/or Ritz Carlton were both worthy cards to have, but the scales tipped when I considered how either would affect my use of other cards like my AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant or Chase Sapphire Reserve.  So in your analogy, better to have a handful of big, red, juicy apples than a bushel of smaller ones. 

Thought I'd throw out a little funny line. Your back and forth which way to go and the way you eloquently post is cool. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think this thread should be interesting (positively and negatively) to those that just don't 
"get" points, or AF cards for that matter.   You would rarely see such thought needed for cashback cards, where decisions might be more obvious ("I'm eating out less and buying groceries more, so I should probably switch to.....")  Point systems need more thought, reflecting that properly used they can be much more valuable.

Message 14 of 19
Aim_High
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I think this thread should be interesting (positively and negatively) to those that just don't 
"get" points, or AF cards for that matter.   You would rarely see such thought needed for cashback cards, where decisions might be more obvious ("I'm eating out less and buying groceries more, so I should probably switch to.....")  Point systems need more thought, reflecting that properly used they can be much more valuable.

Great point, @longtimelurker.  For the right profile and spending patterns, travel cards can be much more lucrative than cash back, but for the wrong profile and spend, they can be a huge hole-in-your pocket.  Moreso, the complexity of them is high with annual fees, credits against those fees, perks, and the value of points for redemption which isn't a fixed value like cash back.  And then, whether the consumer will naturally and organically take advantage of those credits and perks enough to tilt the valuation scales. 

Business Cards

Message 15 of 19
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I may have missed this but another perk of the RC card is the unlimited guests for Priority Pass lounges. While this is subject to the lounge being full, I haven't had an issue getting two additional guests in.

Message 16 of 19
redpat
Senior Contributor

This year I jumped of the hotel hamster wheel and for all my business stays have been using Chase's travel portal for 10x using my CSR and reimbursing myself.  The employees book their own w/ ink+, didn't want to be greedy, lol.  I finally burned the rest of my Hilton points and closed that card.

I have been transferring points to Hyatt lately and some of my Marriott and Hilton redemptions have not been  what they used to be.  Amex plat still gives me gold if I do transfer to them.  In addition, for some of our winter trips I have been redeeming on Chase's portal for 1.50x when there were no Marriotts, Hiltons or Hyatts.

I was looking at the Brilliant card but the $300 credit changed and that was that.

So far I have been happy with going the independent route and finding some nice Hotels, Inns and Condos.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 19
Aim_High
Senior Contributor

@redpat wrote:

This year I jumped of the hotel hamster wheel and for all my business stays have been using Chase's travel portal for 10x using my CSR and reimbursing myself.  The employees book their own w/ ink+, didn't want to be greedy, lol.  I finally burned the rest of my Hilton points and closed that card.

I have been transferring points to Hyatt lately and some of my Marriott and Hilton redemptions have not been  what they used to be.  Amex plat still gives me gold if I do transfer to them.  In addition, for some of our winter trips I have been redeeming on Chase's portal for 1.50x when there were no Marriotts, Hiltons or Hyatts.

I was looking at the Brilliant card but the $300 credit changed and that was that.

So far I have been happy with going the independent route and finding some nice Hotels, Inns and Condos.

Congrats for getting off the "Hotel Hamster Wheel" Smiley LOL  @redpat.   I think there's a lot to be said for being a "free agent" but short of that, I am trying to choose to limit the hamster wheel influence by focusing on primarily one chain.  My frustration with either the major chain bookings (OR) the major travel networks like (UR/MR) is that there are places I want to stay that aren't covered with either properties or points bookings.   This is probably more applicable to places like B&B's or nice independently-owned properties.   If I have x amount of Bonvoy points or Chase UR points, for example, I may find no place to spend them where I am traveling.   And if I just use my CSR for the 10X booking option, if the property isn't listed in the Chase UR portal, I will only earn the standard 3x UR for travel.  While that's not bad, it's definitely a weak area for both hotel loyalty programs as well as those major travel network points.  

Business Cards

Message 18 of 19
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Aim_High , We have been lucky so far finding stays and was quite surprised by the selection on their travel portal.  It took us a long time to burn our Hilton points because where we traveled to the redemptions were ridiculous and ended up using UR points anyway.

At this point I have many ur points and I didn't want to pay for stays if Marriott, Hyatt or Hilton were not available or where asking ridiculous points for a stay.  We have actually stayed at some Marriotts using UR points instead of transferring because of the redemption using Marriott points wasn't worth it.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.