Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my Lowe's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed my Lowe's

Decided to close my Lowes card. I only use it a couple times a year for fridge water filters and HVAC filters. Don't see any major projects coming up in my house as it is fairly new. Didn't need the $30k as a util buffer. No regrets.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed my Lowe's

Lowe's is definately the most worthless card in my portfolio.  Haven't used it since 2012.  It's the one card I actually wouldn't be sad about if issuer cancelled for non-use, but the dang thing keeps hanging on.  OTOH, I've never seen any benefit in calling to cancel it, so I'll just let it atrophy.

Chris.

Message 2 of 18
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

I just 86'd my Lowes as well. Out with the dead weight!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 18
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Well I can't fault you for closing a card you don't need, but in my case Lowes is a great card that offers zero percent financing and extended low interest rates on major projects - it is one of the few store cards I expect to keep and I use (Amazon, Lowes and Home Depot are my only store cards). 

Message 4 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Decided to close my Lowes card. I only use it a couple times a year for fridge water filters and HVAC filters. Don't see any major projects coming up in my house as it is fairly new. Didn't need the $30k as a util buffer. No regrets.

Congrats on the removal of dead weight

What's more impressive is something I see to much emphases on but not in your case

You manage your portfolio as not to need UTL buffer cards ....Double kudo

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

Well I can't fault you for closing a card you don't need, but in my case Lowes is a great card that offers zero percent financing and extended low interest rates on major projects - it is one of the few store cards I expect to keep and I use (Amazon, Lowes and Home Depot are my only store cards). 

No doubt it is a great card! I will def be back when I need to do some large upgrades.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the removal of dead weight

What's more impressive is something I see to much emphases on but not in your case

You manage your portfolio as not to need UTL buffer cards ....Double kudo

Thanks!!

Message 7 of 18
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I like the 5% discount and promotional 0%. What ever works for you imo.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jeffery581 wrote:

I like the 5% discount and promotional 0%. What ever works for you imo.

I figured for my couple purchases I will buy a Lowes or HD gift card with my BCP to get the 6% CB.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking of closing my Lowes card but with the 0% financing options I think I will leave it open.  It's at $8,500 for me.  On the other hand, I did close J. Crew two nights ago.  Had a $8,800 CL.  Hated to get rid of a card with a great limit on it but I found myself buying a pair of socks or a $20 wallet just to keep the thing active.  I now only have 1 store only card and that's Lowes.  Always need Windex, cleaning rags, light bulbs, household cleaners and small stuff Lowes sells in the meantime.  Have 9 Visas and Mastercards I refuse to close.  I began with 12 Comenity cards and got kinda lucky at getting the ones co-branded with major credit cards.  Using those helped me step it up to Citi, Chase, Synchrony, and Blispay.  It all worked out in the end.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.