Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my capital one secured card

tag
Datx
Valued Contributor

Closed my capital one secured card

After a one year relationship with my capital one secured card, I decided to let her go. I took the card out and placed it on my desk for the last few days. Holding it and just looking at it, and thought it over and over if I should close it or not.  Finally decided to let her go this morning.  I called and spoke to a rep, and even though she had nice things to say on how well I managed the card, and how great I did on making on time payments and even early ones, I stayed on course and got it closed. I have no issues with Capital One, they have been great and I will always be grateful that they approved me for their secured card. Its a great way to rebuild credit, and I love Capital One! There I said it! Smiley Very Happy

Anyhoo, Orchard Secured is next in line. One more month and the 1 year anniversary hits, and she will be cancelled as well. Also want to thank this board and all the wonderful people on here. Always helpful and friendly. Thank you!.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Closed my capital one secured card

You may want to try to prequalifty for an unsecured card with capital one, its a soft pull and they may put you in the credit steps program, I personally would rather deal  with Capital One than Orchard

Message 2 of 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your progress. Feels good to be moving forward, doesn't it?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 7
Datx
Valued Contributor

john398 - I forgot to list my other cards. I do actually have a cap one no hassle rewards card. So you're right, I have been able to get an unsecured card with Cap One.

tinuviel - Thanks! Yes, it sure does feel good to move forward. It wouldve have been nice if these secured cards graduated, but since it wasnt happening, I decided to let them go. I have been using these cards very rarely, and I really dont have plans to use it again anytime soon. Just been putting small activity to keep them active so they dont close them for non-usage.

Message 4 of 7
john398
Senior Contributor

Ok now I understand better

Message 5 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@MyCreditStinks wrote:

john398 - I forgot to list my other cards. I do actually have a cap one no hassle rewards card. So you're right, I have been able to get an unsecured card with Cap One.

tinuviel - Thanks! Yes, it sure does feel good to move forward. It wouldve have been nice if these secured cards graduated, but since it wasnt happening, I decided to let them go. I have been using these cards very rarely, and I really dont have plans to use it again anytime soon. Just been putting small activity to keep them active so they dont close them for non-usage.

How did the CL on the no hassle compare to the secured card?

Message 6 of 7
Datx
Valued Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:
How did the CL on the no hassle compare to the secured card?

Wasn't a big difference. Secured card was at $300, rewards card opened at $500. Its now at $750 due to credit steps program, but its probably going to stay at that limit for awhile. I'm going to keep it open for a couple of years, and if it doesnt increase by then it goes on the chopping block. Im thinking of phasing out lower limit cards.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.