Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my first credit card today

tag
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Closed my first credit card today

I know most people state to just leave low limit cards open to help with AAoA. 5 months ago I opened an acct with ONESTOPPLUS which is a woman's outlet for big plus sized women. I'm not a plus size woman, I'm just some dude. The limit was 250 dollars which is my lowest limit of a store card.

In addition to OneStopPlus with Comenity Bank I also have:

Victoria's Secret

JCrew

Express

Brylane Home

They all have lower type limits. My goal is to close a card down every few months until I only have one or two of these cards. They are great rebuilders and helped me get my foot in the door with other cards. I will forever be thankful to Comenity for giving me a chance when nobody else would. I'm thinking I'm going to keep Express and Victoria's Secret and buy something once a year to keep them open. I'm sure they will grow.

Next I'm going to close my OPENSKY credit card which is a $200 card with an annual fee and doesn't grow at all. It was a good rebuilder too but it's time to axe it.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
colindidit
Established Contributor

Re: Closed my first credit card today

Lol the part about you not being a plus sized woman and just some dude cracked me up. And yeah, I'm omw to closing some more cards that just aren't doing anything for me.. Next up is probably my shell card.
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 2 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You don't have to worry about your AAoA getting hit by closing credit cards ~ it includes both closed and open accounts.

The only time that closing a CC might hurt your FICO score is if your revolving utilization increases as a result of losing the credit limit ~ take a look at the link below:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would close the card(s) with annual fees first. I would only keep the card that has annual fee if you think the benefit(s) of the card are worth it.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 8
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Lol awesome.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 5 of 8
Smug
Established Contributor

I closed about seven small cards I would never use and when I did that I got my first $5000 visa after that everything kept going up I always suggest to close the smaller cards some people want to stop and sock drawer them however I still think it's better just to close it so you don't have to think about it
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 6 of 8
colindidit
Established Contributor

Closed another card today but this time out of just not using it ever and also how they screwed me with a payment in the past lol Smiley Happy
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 7 of 8
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

5 months ago I opened an acct with ONESTOPPLUS which is a woman's outlet for big plus sized women. I'm not a plus size woman, I'm just some dude.

BAHAHAHAHA

FICO Scores 800+
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.