Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed my low CL Cap One card.

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Closed my low CL Cap One card.

@ali5541 wrote:

I had two Cap1 cards. Weirdly enough, when I did close my secured card ($201 limit) my FICO score jumped 30 points.....I really don't know why. But hey, whos complaining?

I got a CLI from the execs office on the second one.

Did you do both at the same time?  What was the increase, maybe it was the increase that put up your score that much if it was to $2,000 or more?

It me a Better Business Bureau complaint to get Capone to treat me with a little more repsect.  I find them really interesting to deal with in some ways.  I asked many times and listened to them say that my credit limit was up to date, which was funny since I was getting new cards easily with better limits.  I asked for them to remove my annual fee and they offered to waive it.  I clearly stuck with the wording I was using and said that I really wanted to have it removed, but never said 'no' to them waiving it.  In fact I never said 'no' to it three times one month and I never brought up the fact that it had already been waived.  When I called and asked for them to lower the interest rate they said they could not, but they were happy to give me a $50 credit to my account!  This was much more than I have paid in interest on the card in 2 years, 192 times more interest than I had paid in that period.  I was merely trying to get the interest so that if the card ever converted it wouldn't be at a high interest rate. I figure once I get a Prime card from them it will be easier to get another with the bonus points/miles or whatever to use.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 11 of 17
ednajen
New Contributor

@racer-x wrote:

As mentioned a billllliiiooooon times, simplly hit the googlenator for 'capital one executive office email'.  Smiley Wink

Um thanks.  I don't really go in Cap1 threads but I did do an "Executive Office" search and the first couple threads I saw mentioned getting pm's.  I appreciate the information though.

Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Message 12 of 17
high_lander
Established Member

I tried with that low limit (300) card, and they would not budge, so I said scew it and closed it. I did get a CLI on my rewards card from 750 to 1K. I then did a balance transfer of that card to my new NFL card, that I got a CLI on from Barclays. I recently also opened a WalMart account. My wife opened a Kroger 1-2-3 Rewards card that I am a an AU on. Too many cards open right now.

Hoping to buy a new truck here in a few months, and want to let the dust settle a bit on the scores.

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: TU 712 EQ 704 (both from myFICO)
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

@high_lander wrote:

Good riddance. It wasn't going to grow.

Hmm.  A waste, in my opinion.  If you have a cap1 subprime product, once you have good history and other high limit cards the exec office is happy to help with PC's and CLI's. My Cap1 rebuilder is now a green cash, and my highest limit card.

Why not use soft pulls to convert it to something better, and keep the benefit to your AAOA?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-to-get-a-PC-or-CLI-from-Capital-One/td-p/1690104

Message 14 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

@racer-x wrote:

As mentioned a billllliiiooooon times, simplly hit the googlenator for 'capital one executive office email'.  Smiley Wink

I'd say that was mentioned...

(•_•)

a google times...
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Yeaaaah.

Message 15 of 17
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

@p- wrote:

@high_lander wrote:

Good riddance. It wasn't going to grow.

Hmm.  A waste, in my opinion.  If you have a cap1 subprime product, once you have good history and other high limit cards the exec office is happy to help with PC's and CLI's. My Cap1 rebuilder is now a green cash, and my highest limit card.

Why not use soft pulls to convert it to something better, and keep the benefit to your AAOA?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-to-get-a-PC-or-CLI-from-Capital-One/td-p/1690104

They refused to PC my secured card to anything. 

No biggie, I got the CLI on my CR card and will be cancelling the secured one soon. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 16 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

@SpeedingWheels wrote:
They refused to PC my secured card to anything.

Bummer.  I'm guessing it's not eligible for PC until it graduates.  Have you talked to them about what it will take to graduate your secured card?

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.