Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed on the Home - 3/3 for New Cards!

tag
WillF360
Regular Contributor

Closed on the Home - 3/3 for New Cards!

Hey guys & gals. I wanted to stop in here and see what everyone thought my best option was for a CC. 

A little background, I came from the sub 500's in about a year, just doing repair and GW's. The only thing negative on my report right now is 2 charged of HSBC accounts from 2007 & 2009.  We are closing on our first house (sole applicant) this Friday, approved for $205,000 through USDA Rural Housing. 

I have 1 credit card currently, a Secured Capital One "Platinum" with a $200 Credit Limit that I opened 2/2012. I'm carrying a $3 balance currently.

My latest lender pulled scores were Experian 693, Equifax 676, and TransUnion 670.  That was with my Utilization at $125/$200, so over 50%.

What are the best cards for me to apply for currently?  Chances of getting approved pretty good? 

--UPDATE--

Applied for Chase Freedom, Approved w/ a limit of $3500

Applied for Discover It, Approved w/ a limit of $4500

Applied for a AMEX Blue, APPROVED! 

I'm literally ecstatic right now.

In the Garden since 9/15/13... Goal Date 4/15/14 (WISH ME LUCK)
Closed on First Home 9/13/2013: USDA RURAL HOUSING
Lender Pull 7/25- EQ 673, EX 693, TU 670
Credit Card Approvals: 9/15- Discover It $4500; Chase Freedom $3500; Amex Blue $5000
Goal Score: 720 | Starting Scores (2/12): EQ 493, EX 521, TU 463
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Closing on our new home on Friday, next is a CC App

@WillF360 wrote:

Hey guys & gals. I wanted to stop in here and see what everyone thought my best option was for a CC. 

A little background, I came from the sub 500's in about a year, just doing repair and GW's. The only thing negative on my report right now is 2 charged of HSBC accounts from 2007 & 2009.  We are closing on our first house (sole applicant) this Friday, approved for $205,000 through USDA Rural Housing. 

I have 1 credit card currently, a Secured Capital One "Platinum" with a $200 Credit Limit that I opened 2/2012. I'm carrying a $3 balance currently.

My latest lender pulled scores were Experian 693, Equifax 676, and TransUnion 670.  That was with my Utilization at $125/$200, so over 50%.

What are the best cards for me to apply for currently?  Chances of getting approved pretty good? 

Congrats on the new home Yay

IMHO Walmart,Freedom and Discover.and last but not least Cap1

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 18
WillF360
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the congrats!  If I'm able to close on a home, is it pretty much a lock to get approved for a CC?  

I bank through Chase as well, so not sure if that will help w/ the Freedom Card.  I had a Discover Student Card back in 2002 that was closed, so I may go back that route too.  Thanks for the input as well!  Really clueless on the credit cards that are out there now, but I do want a "backup" plan just in case.  

Credit Card Approvals: 9/15- Discover It $4500; Chase Freedom $3500; Amex Blue $5000
Message 3 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@WillF360 wrote:

Thanks for the congrats!  If I'm able to close on a home, is it pretty much a lock to get approved for a CC?  

I bank through Chase as well, so not sure if that will help w/ the Freedom Card.  I had a Discover Student Card back in 2002 that was closed, so I may go back that route too.  Thanks for the input as well!  Really clueless on the credit cards that are out there now, but I do want a "backup" plan just in case.  

No it's not a lock but based on the profile you shared I'd say chances are pretty good..

I would app

1) Freedom

2) Discover

3) Walmart

4) Cap1 but if Chase and Discover Walmart are approvals pass on Cap1

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 18
WillF360
Regular Contributor

THank you kindly.  Any particular card on Discover?  I've seen Discover.it on several topics on here, but didn't know if that's something that would be available to me.

Lastly, should I wait til after closing, or move forward w/ applications. We're set to close at 10am on Friday, I have the HUD-1 etc already in my possession. 

Message 5 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@WillF360 wrote:

THank you kindly.  Any particular card on Discover?  I've seen Discover.it on several topics on here, but didn't know if that's something that would be available to me.

Lastly, should I wait til after closing, or move forward w/ applications. We're set to close at 10am on Friday, I have the HUD-1 etc already in my possession. 

Yes the Discover It card and don't make any apps until you have the keys to your new home in your hands and closing is complete then go home and app away 

Good luck

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations on your closing. Sadly, no there's no guarantee you'll be approved for a cc cause the home is secured. That being said do not be discouraged. IMO, I'd add a home improvement cc -Lowes or Home Depot. I'd also try to spread the inq's over the 3 bureaus if possible. Check with your branch and ask if you have any pre-approvals on your acct with Chase. After Chase, Walmart, Discover and Cap 1QS.

Good luck!
Message 7 of 18
WillF360
Regular Contributor

Thanks Lexie!  Is there a list of what companies pull what bureau?  

Message 8 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@WillF360 wrote:

No it's not a lock but based on the profile you shared I'd say chances are pretty good..

I would app

1) Freedom

2) Discover

3) Walmart

4) Cap1 but if Chase and Discover Walmart are approvals pass on Cap1

I kind of broke the list up by who pulls from where

Freedom EX

Discover EQ or TU

Walmart TU

Check your area to be sure who they pull in your area....

Sending you an PM where you can check to be safe 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 18
WillF360
Regular Contributor

And... just apped on Discover and Chase, results are:

Chase Freedom Card Approved Instantly for $3,500

Discover.It Card Approved after calling to verify information for $4,500

Wooohooo.  It's definitely a start for me.  I only had a secured Capital One card thus far.  Glad to be back amongst the respectable card holders, Smiley Happy

Thank  you all for the advice!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.