cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing 1 month old card - can I get it deleted from reports?

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Closing 1 month old card - can I get it deleted from reports?

Also, lenders do not have to report anything to begin with.

The requirement is that reporting be accurate if they choose to do so, but reporting accounts in itself is not mandatory. 

Message 11 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I guess it makes sense they technically don't have to report it at all. Look at business cards. Even though they are tied to your personal SSN, they do not report to your credit file in most cases, even though you are liable for the account.

In any event, I haven't really heard of any bank deleting a new tradeline just because it was closed shortly after opening (be it by consumer or otherwise).

Message 12 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

I guess it makes sense they technically don't have to report it at all. Look at business cards. Even though they are tied to your personal SSN, they do not report to your credit file in most cases, even though you are liable for the account.  Not necessarily.  Besides, business cards follow different rules as far as liability, reporting and protections.  There are plenty of non-PG credit products and options.  Lenders who pull personal CRs and use PG, sure. 

In any event, I haven't really heard of any bank deleting a new tradeline just because it was closed shortly after opening (be it by consumer or otherwise).  Although rare, it has happened and folks have reported those outcomes on the Credit Cards and General Credit subforums.  But, this is typically the result of an individual pursuing such action, not the lender voluntarily removing the tradeline.  Removed nonetheless.

Message 13 of 15
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

Sorry, but the account is valid and will report as valid.

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 14 of 15
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my brain around why someone would want the credit line deleted.  I closed a new CapOne card last year after onlhy 6-weeks; even though it is closed, and even though it shows up on all three of my credit reports, it hasn't hurt a thing, in fact, in the long run, it will probably help my AAoA, so the longer it stays on my report, the better as far as I'm concerned.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.