cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Barclay's cards after less than a week.

tag
justcallmetj

Closing Barclay's cards after less than a week.

Hello all,

I'm having a nightmare of an experience after recently opening an account with Barclays. This past sunday, I applied and was instantly approved for their extra points rewards card (NFL PROMO) with a CL of $500. I then logged into my online account and noticed 2 new credit accounts listing.. which was weird as I am positive that I only submitted one app. Futhermore, I called in to inquire, and everyone I spoke to was completely baffled and clueless as to how it happened. I then figured, what the heck, I'll just leave the account's opening and add my son as an a/u on one of the accounts.

Now this past Tuesday, I logged in just to poke around, and I noticed that they've placed a fraud warning on my account; requesting me to call in immediately. I called in, and after about 30 seconds into the phone call, a fraud analyst was asking me who is TJ jr (My son) and I explained that to him. After about 2 minutes on hold, he came back stating that they would need further verification from me. The analyst told me to go to a local bank and ask for a cash advance, which at that point would trigger the teller to call their security department (because of fraud warning placed on my account) and have me verify my identification and w-2 info.

I must say, I am completely uncomfortable with doing this and I will be closing the accounts once I receive them in the mail. Does all this sound strange to you guys? Am I over reacting? I've already been approved for a Discover Motiva, Walmart Discover and Paypal MC within the last few weeks.. I really don't think I need the hassle from Barclay's.

Regards,

TJ

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
adavis425
Established Contributor

Re: Closing Barclay's cards after less than a week.

This doesn't sound unreasonable to me. They are simply trying to verify your identity. If you would rather not be bothered, I understand closing the accounts, but I think they are simply doing their due diligence.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 2 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@justcallmetj wrote:

Hello all,

I'm having a nightmare of an experience after recently opening an account with Barclays. This past sunday, I applied and was instantly approved for their extra points rewards card (NFL PROMO) with a CL of $500. I then logged into my online account and noticed 2 new credit accounts listing.. which was weird as I am positive that I only submitted one app. Futhermore, I called in to inquire, and everyone I spoke to was completely baffled and clueless as to how it happened. I then figured, what the heck, I'll just leave the account's opening and add my son as an a/u on one of the accounts.

Now this past Tuesday, I logged in just to poke around, and I noticed that they've placed a fraud warning on my account; requesting me to call in immediately. I called in, and after about 30 seconds into the phone call, a fraud analyst was asking me who is TJ jr (My son) and I explained that to him. After about 2 minutes on hold, he came back stating that they would need further verification from me. The analyst told me to go to a local bank and ask for a cash advance, which at that point would trigger the teller to call their security department (because of fraud warning placed on my account) and have me verify my identification and w-2 info.

I must say, I am completely uncomfortable with doing this and I will be closing the accounts once I receive them in the mail. Does all this sound strange to you guys? Am I over reacting? I've already been approved for a Discover Motiva, Walmart Discover and Paypal MC within the last few weeks.. I really don't think I need the hassle from Barclay's.

Regards,

TJ

I had to do this with capital one. Although I didn't have to do a cash advance, they simply told me to go to the nearest bank (any bank, did not matter) sit down and have someone at the bank call up, then cap1 called the bank back (to verify it was actually the bank and not a random person) and asked to speak to my banker, and then they got the whole thing worked out. It took maybe 25-30 minutes total (that includes waiting for a banker to be available). 

Message 3 of 22
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It's just a security measure.  They want to verify you are who you are.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 22
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@justcallmetj wrote:

Hello all,

Regards,

TJ

I had to do this with capital one. Although I didn't have to do a cash advance, they simply told me to go to the nearest bank (any bank, did not matter) sit down and have someone at the bank call up, then cap1 called the bank back (to verify it was actually the bank and not a random person) and asked to speak to my banker, and then they got the whole thing worked out. It took maybe 25-30 minutes total (that includes waiting for a banker to be available). 

This exact thing happened to me with Cap1. Odd verification process. They wanted the bank to call from the bank so they could see the Caller ID...

Anyway....I don't get why the bank would tell you to take a cash advance if your account had a fraud alert up! Obviously they knew you would not be able to do this.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 22
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

This measly $500 limit is not worth your time imo.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 22
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I don't see the need of doing a cash advance. Just go to your bank and ask them to call Barclays.

Message 7 of 22
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

im confused. are you being sent multiple cards with different account numbers?
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I don't see the need of doing a cash advance. Just go to your bank and ask them to call Barclays.

OP doesn't actually have to take a cash advance, just ask for one so the card will be declined for fraud and they will be forced to call barclays. 

Message 9 of 22
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

OP doesn't actually have to take a cash advance, just ask for one so the card will be declined for fraud and they will be forced to call barclays. 

I see what you mean but it sounds to me that the OP did request a cash advance and that bank called the security department on them...

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.