cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Capital One what do you guys think???

tag
Quantarra
New Contributor

Closing Capital One what do you guys think???

Hi everyone I would like to know if I should close my crapital one card I have the platinum and it will never grow beyond the $750 CL. I have had it for 3yrs and it is my oldest card but today I was approved for a cc through my cu for $1000 yayyyyy my largest limit so please tell me what you guys think because I'm so sick of crapital one
Fico=642 Exp=680(perCU) TU=660
Goal=anything over my current scores,,,,,,
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
slothy
Contributor

Re: Closing Capital One what do you guys think???

have you tried sending the EO a email? i was stuck at 750 til i emailed them and they bumped me to 2k...

Message 2 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If you don't like the card, don't need it for util then close it. Have you tried contacting the EO for a CLI, PC? Or AF waiver?
Message 3 of 22
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Try the two answers above before doing it. This card does help your utilization however which is very important. My credit score jumped 33 pts once the utilization went down. More available credit helps greatly in this department.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 4 of 22
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I would definitely try the EO (either email or call). I was going to close my card, I called once last year, got AF waived. A email this year got me a nice CLI. If you have no AF, I would hold onto it and try the EO.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 5 of 22
Quantarra
New Contributor

I have called CEO and emailed even via twitter and its all NO I even called this morning to talk with rep and nothing
Message 6 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

@Quantarra wrote:
Hi everyone I would like to know if I should close my crapital one card I have the platinum and it will never grow beyond the $750 CL. I have had it for 3yrs and it is my oldest card but today I was approved for a cc through my cu for $1000 yayyyyy my largest limit so please tell me what you guys think because I'm so sick of crapital one

If your going to sit there and refer to them has crapital one just get rid of the card. Nobody is making you do business with them. I have been satisfied with my capital one experience as my first card. Unless there is an AF I wouldn't get rid of cards because it helps with your credit util. If you get larger credit lines then $750 won't matter. For the age of your accounts purposes it will still stay on your reports for years to come, so there won't be much of an impact there if you do want to dump it. Otherwise you can throw it in the SD and just derive the benefit of having the additional $750 for util.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 22
Quantarra
New Contributor

@red259 thank u for ur response and if I want to call them crapital one I can and I Know no one is making me do business with them I just asked for opinions not criticism now for u that's good u have had a good experience with them but for myself I have not so please no response needed and have a blessed day
Message 8 of 22
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Red259 provided an opinion.  You may not like it but it's still Red's opinion.

If you're "sick of them" and resorting to name calling then why are you keeping the account open?  What you should do depends on your needs/wants/preferences/priorities/etc so help us understand your perspective to give you the feedback you're asking for.

Message 9 of 22
Open123
Super Contributor

@Quantarra wrote:
Hi everyone I would like to know if I should close my crapital one card I have the platinum and it will never grow beyond the $750 CL

Once you have a better CL on a national lender without such limitations, I'd close it, fee or otherwise.  

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.