cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Capital One what do you guys think???

tag
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

Re: Closing Capital One what do you guys think???

IT IS CRAPITAL ONE LOL, i totally agree.  Its designed for people with fair to poor credit and the credit lines NEVER go anywhere.

Message 11 of 22
eddie84
Valued Contributor

I've closed 2 cards that I got from them and couldn't be happier but of course, that's just me. Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 22
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

i just paid the annual fee back in February so i will let it sit sock drawered until the end of the year then its getting closed

Message 13 of 22
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Quantarra wrote:
Hi everyone I would like to know if I should close my crapital one card I have the platinum and it will never grow beyond the $750 CL

Once you have a better CL on a national lender without such limitations, I'd close it, fee or otherwise.  

Exactly. While I am grateful they DID give me a chance, I really dont like how they draw lines in the sand telling you this far-- but no more. Then how they ignore their own policies simplly because they staff another call center that does business the way things SHOULD be done to those that know how to reach it.

Last month when my insurance settlement finally came in I spent some time in the bank ( I bank with Capital One as well ) waiting for the local branch manager to make some calls on releasing some of the funds. While I set at her desk there was a desk mat going over Capital Ones credit cards for prospective new card members.

Which card will I qualify for?

Venture --- Do you have at least one card with a $3000 limit? Have you NEVER filed Bankruptcy? Never been delinquent on any debt? No medical collections? Then yes this card might be for you!

Platinum -- Are you just starting out? Never been delinquent on ANY bill? No collections? Then yes this card might be for you!

So there we have again an entirely different policy than if someone simply applied online for a credit steps, whereas the uninformed person sitting there in the bank would problably tell themselves " I dont qualify for anything" and simply not open an account.

All this bank does is talk out both sides of it`s mouth while it says it "cant do this or that", then turns around and does the exact thing it say it cannot do.

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 14 of 22
tommiezwa

Just wondering - are you fairly new to credit cards (under 5 years or so)?  It is OK to keep a card with a zero balance, to help with the ages of your accounts.  You can consider applying (very gradually!) for a new card  or two over the next few years; once they see that you have other sources of credit and you are current, they might rethink their position!  As with any bank, the service depends on the training and support of the representatives.  The bigger the bank, the more they function like government (or schools)!  One side note - should there be an annual fee, be sure to use the card for the full year... then either close it or convert it to a 'no fee' card..  Best of luck and many blessings to you!!

Starting Score: 811 in 2004
Current Score: 679 as of June 18
Goal Score: 750 or higher

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 22
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

I have no patience for Cap one cards. I closed mine last month. Smiley Very Happy

"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 16 of 22
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

I'm goanna vent, but first my advice: if having the card is really a bother, yes, close it (especially if there is an annual fee). But stay aware of the ramifications in regards to available credit & utilization (as several have mentioned). If there is no AF consider the SD. (I'm getting these abbreviations finally, ha ha).

Now my rant: why do people expect Capital One or any lender to just give increases just because we asked? These are businesses not our personal coffers. Capital One is in the business to make money and their target population is the moderate to higher risk consumer. They give people with no credit or bad credit a chance to prove themselves credit worthy, opening doors to bigger (better) lenders in the long run. Sure, we got in with Capital when our credit was questionable and now our credit is impeccable, but Capital One still remembers what screw ups we were before our shiny new FICO and is gonna try to minimize chances of lost revenue. So, yeah we get stuck for years with a measly CL while other lenders are giving us 10x our Cap One CL. Well, at that point we've outgrown our use of Cap One. Time to close shop and move on to digs that exemplify our new status.

Unlike other "high risk" lenders Capital One isn't extorting us for every dime we have just so we an build a better credit file. They charge a single and low AF no more than $40. No monthly maintenance fee, not set-up fees, no CLI fees. Just your deposit & low AF. Plus, they give us a free tool to monitor our Experian credit report monthly. Sure, the APR is atrocious, but what's to be expected with our profiles? Yes, I know they have a higher tier base, too; but that's comparitively miniscule.

I had Capital One's secured card for one year. I closed it in July after having been approved for other lenders that gave me unsecured credit and no AF. I didn't close it because Cap One is horrible; I found them not too much more aggravating than other lenders who have outsourced their front end staff. I closed it because I outgrew the need for their secured AF card. Maybe one day I will come back to Capital One for one of the nice "excellent" credit no AF rewards cards. If I do I won't expect too much because I know they are conservative with the CLs; why is it Discover and other conservative lenders don't get the grief Cap One does?

I personally won't do business with a company I feel undervalues me as a customer (while resorting to name calling--as if they can hear or would care).

End of rant. Thanks for reading Smiley Happy

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 17 of 22
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I feel your pain. I have been unhappy with Cap1 for awhile, especially since I got my prime cards. However, they stuck it out with me in my bad times so I won't close them out. They will however become very good friends with my socks Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 22
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Unlike other "high risk" lenders Capital One isn't extorting us for every dime we have just so we an build a better credit file. They charge a single and low AF no more than $40. No monthly maintenance fee, not set-up fees, no CLI fees. Just your deposit & low AF. Plus, they give us a free tool to monitor our Experian credit report monthly. Sure, the APR is atrocious, but what's to be expected with our profiles? Yes, I know they have a higher tier base, too; but that's comparitively miniscule.

Wait what? How do I jump on this?

Message 19 of 22
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

Wait what? How do I jump on this?

I remember having a quarterly credit report sent to me but I also had to pay extra for it. It was automatically billed to my card. I had to call and have it removed. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.