Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Cards Pre-Activation

tag
dpechal
Regular Contributor

Closing Cards Pre-Activation

Just curious if anyone has closed credit card accounts prior to activation.  I was approved recently for 4 additional new credit lines, of the 4 new cards only 2 are really worth it.  Have you ever closed at pre-activation?  Pro's and Con's of doing so?  I don't mind the hardpulls at all fyi.  Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Also I started from the cards I felt I would be approved for and worked my way up, just incase you all were wondering why I would apply in the first place.

Cards applied for:

Amex Delta Platinum - Approved for $1,100

Amex Platinum - Approved NPSL

Barclays Arrival - Approved $3,500

NFCU Flagship - Approved $15,500

My plan was to cut off the Barclays and tempted to cut the Delta Platinum.  Also I am active duty military so the Annual Fee is waived so I get the benefits at a price of $0 AF.  

***$25,500******$20,000******$20,000******$20,000******$15,000********NPSL****

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing Cards Pre-Activation

Ive never closed cards before activating them but I would say you could since you already go the cards that offer great befenits for those in the military.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Unless you can get the lender to remove the TLs from your CR's, you will have the loss of AAOA.
Message 3 of 12
missjae
Established Contributor

I closed a Credit One card pre-activation cause I realized it wasn't worth it. There was nothing on my CR and I didn't have any problems. This was before I began using these forums. After reading all the stories, I am glad I did!
Message 4 of 12
dpechal
Regular Contributor

I only ask cause I don't see the TL's on my CR as of yet, and wanting to see if canceling now would prevent the TL from even being open.  Thanks for the advice

***$25,500******$20,000******$20,000******$20,000******$15,000********NPSL****

Message 5 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Unless you can get the lender to remove the TLs from your CR's, you will have the loss of AAOA.

I think it must be lender dependent, because I found out that I had in fact been approved for a card (Fidelity Amex) by a credit karma alert telling me that there was a new account on my CR.   The card came a few days later so in this case the TL reports prior to activation.

Message 6 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

That's true of BoA and most GE cards too.

Edit: Barclays is known to report quickly.
Message 7 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
That's true of BoA and most GE cards too.

Edit: Barclays is known to report quickly.

+1

Barclays reports within 48 hours like BofA/FIA.

OP - did you do some research before applying for any of these? or, at least the ones that did not deem as desirable for your portfolio?

Message 8 of 12
burghpa
Regular Contributor

Barclay reported immediately for me as well, in 24 hrs. The card arrived a week later.

2013 Feb EQ: 550 | 2017 Feb EQ: 722

Message 9 of 12
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I closed my Costco Amex pre-activation which had 14.4k limit. After getting all the suggestions from the credit gurus here in the forum, I reactivated it the day after closing it. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.