Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Cards

tag
brcamacho
Regular Contributor

Closing Cards

Im getting to the point where I'm starting to think about closing some of my store cards and or lower limit CC that seem to never have a CLI.  If I were to do something like that, is there anything I need to know?

Like should I close cards on there anniversary vs. something like month 15.

Thanks a bunch.

TU-688 5/14 (WM TU) | EX-692 on 2/14 (FNBO EX) | EQ-666 on 01/13

NFCU GoRewards $25k | NavChek $15k | Chase Slate 7.5k
Barclays Rewards $3.4k | FNBO MC $2.3K | Cap1 Plat $1.9k
Cap1 Quicksilver $1.7k | Wmt Discover $4.5k | Amazon Store Card $3k Care Credit $3.5k | Kohls $300 | Victoria's Secret $500
Cap1 Quicksilver $2k | Barclays Apple Visa $600

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: Closing Cards

The general rule of thumb is if they cost no AF, don't close them. let them age until the company closes them to get the best AAoA

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 2 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

+1 

unless there is a AF let it age and let the creditor close for non-use

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 6
brcamacho
Regular Contributor

I sse, I think its just my "OCD" getting the best of me lol

TU-688 5/14 (WM TU) | EX-692 on 2/14 (FNBO EX) | EQ-666 on 01/13

NFCU GoRewards $25k | NavChek $15k | Chase Slate 7.5k
Barclays Rewards $3.4k | FNBO MC $2.3K | Cap1 Plat $1.9k
Cap1 Quicksilver $1.7k | Wmt Discover $4.5k | Amazon Store Card $3k Care Credit $3.5k | Kohls $300 | Victoria's Secret $500
Cap1 Quicksilver $2k | Barclays Apple Visa $600

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Closing a CC will have no impact on your score in the near future, unless you close it with a balance.  The CL will be immediately removed from your overall utilization calculation and if you tend to carry balances that could have an adverse affect.  Your AAoA will not be affected as the card remains calculated in for up to 10 years from the date closed.

Message 5 of 6
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@brcamacho wrote:

Im getting to the point where I'm starting to think about closing some of my store cards and or lower limit CC that seem to never have a CLI.  If I were to do something like that, is there anything I need to know?

Like should I close cards on there anniversary vs. something like month 15.

Thanks a bunch.

I'm with you, brcamacho. I know what the common MyFico wisdom is about keeping cards open, but I'm also in the process of triming down my cards just because I don't need all I have and don't like keeping track of them all. I just closed one and may close two more soon.

So go ahead and do it if that's what you're inclined to do.

It doesn't matter if you close them on their anniversaries or whenever (unless you're trying to close them to avoid paying an AF). Just make sure they have zero balances when you close them, and maybe let them run zero balances for a couple of months just to make sure there's no hidden interest due or no automatic billpays being done on them that you might have forgotten about.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.