Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing Credit Cards

Does anyone have any advice on when to start closing credit cards? My util is about 16%. I have some low limit cards that I want to close but I don't want to screw up my AOA.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Closing Credit Cards

If you close any cards now with 16% util. That will go higher due to the loss of your total CL's combined. If you were 1-3% no problem. What cards do you have and which ones are you seeking to close. Then the gang can help you out.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close credit cards when they have an annual fee and you are not using them.

That said, I did close a couple of no-AF cards that I wasn't using just because I wanted a cleaner life. I closed my Amazon store card when I got my Amazon Chase Visa for example--I just saw no point in keeping it. It's not the FICO-maximizing thing to do, and my score went down a few points when I did it. But I liked having a simpler life anyway and you don't always have to max your FICO.

Keep your OLDEST card with no AF open, though.

Message 3 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Closing cards wont affect your aaoa just your utilization if you carry balances. The cards will report up to 10 years or more. What cards are you looking to unload?
Message 4 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Close credit cards when they have an annual fee and you are not using them.

That said, I did close a couple of no-AF cards that I wasn't using just because I wanted a cleaner life. I closed my Amazon store card when I got my Amazon Chase Visa for example--I just saw no point in keeping it. It's not the FICO-maximizing thing to do, and my score went down a few points when I did it. But I liked having a simpler life anyway and you don't always have to max your FICO.

Keep your OLDEST card with no AF open, though.

This exactly. A few points may be pretty much irrelevant especially if you don't have any major important app planned. Do what's best for you and your mindset. If that means simplifying I say go ahead.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

First National CC

Barclays

Cap 1 Quick Silver

I’ll still have

Penfed

Chase Mileage Plus

Discover

all with pretty good credit limits

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Message 8 of 9
xaximus
Valued Contributor

It would be useful to know when they were opened and the limits. Also, as others have mentioned, if you have a 16% balance currently, then as you close cards, that UTI will go up, so it may be beneficial in paying down the balance as you close cards, if not doing it prior to closing cards.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.