Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing PenFed Account

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing PenFed Account

What's the furthest back PenFed will accept someone with old mistakes? I haven't had an issue in over 5 years but don't want to waste another pull.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 44
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

I'd be happy having the 5% on gas year round. That would be the only reason to get the Penfed card.

I wonder how long the 5% on gas will last, though, after they started culling the rewards.

Currently, not worth the inquiry and paperwork for me. But if I already had one, I'd keep it open and use it for gas only.

We use ours mostly just for gas, and the cash back buys us a tank of gas each month. To us it's the best, most immediate reward we get. Well worth it.

Message 22 of 44
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

What's the furthest back PenFed will accept someone with old mistakes? I haven't had an issue in over 5 years but don't want to waste another pull.

I had some old 30-day lates when I applied. Mine were probably about 4-5 yrs old at the time of app. I didn't have any judgments or collections though....just a couple of old 30-day lates.

Message 23 of 44
DI
Super Contributor

I won't be closing this account since I have to watch my back with AMEX.    You never no when they may pull a F/R and freeze the account. 

Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

DI.  Okay - so you've decided to keep it open.  What's your thinking on RockinRay's comment:

@RockinRay wrote:

DI -

You have the Visa with a $1k line and you have an LOC with an $18k line right? The last time I spoke with them I was told that the max unsecured they will loan is $20k. This is for the first two years of membership. Then they will give more. So it looks like you are close at $19k - if I read right?

Maybe split up and put $10k on the card and leave the rest for the LOC? I know they will do that for you. We split the Visa in to two cards with different CL's.

I think at this point, you should hang with them! JMO!

Ray

It appears that would satisfy any CL concerns.

Message 25 of 44
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

DI.  Okay - so you've decided to keep it open.  What's your thinking on RockinRay's comment:

@RockinRay wrote:

DI -

You have the Visa with a $1k line and you have an LOC with an $18k line right? The last time I spoke with them I was told that the max unsecured they will loan is $20k. This is for the first two years of membership. Then they will give more. So it looks like you are close at $19k - if I read right?

Maybe split up and put $10k on the card and leave the rest for the LOC? I know they will do that for you. We split the Visa in to two cards with different CL's.

Ray

Since I don't mind closing credit card accounts when they no longer work for me, I rather maintain my LOC.  To me, having a LOC is better than a CC.  I think one will be under less scrutiny with a LOC. 

Message 26 of 44
score_building
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

DI -

Ray

Since I don't mind closing credit card accounts when they no longer work for me, I rather maintain my LOC.  To me, having a LOC is better than a CC.  I think one will be under less scrutiny with a LOC. 

By who?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 27 of 44
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I have some old (5 years+) lates but very high utilization.

It's probably best to wait another year before reapplying.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 44
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

I won't be closing this account since I have to watch my back with AMEX.    You never no when they may pull a F/R and freeze the account. 

You never know when the supermodel will freak out on ya. Now Penfed doesn't look so bad does it?

Message 29 of 44
tiger67
Regular Contributor

Ray,

My experience with PenFed doesn't match those numbers (maybe they've changed their policy).

PenFed issued me a Visa with 10K. Seven months later approved a LOC with 25k. Five months later increased Visa to 30k.

So after one year, total unsecured credit = 55k. I'll reach the two year mark in September.

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.