Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a brand new account qeustion.

tag
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Closing a brand new account qeustion.

Lets say you apply for a card,get approved, change your mind within a day or 2 of approval and close the account.

Would it still report to the CRAs?

I know if you use a card it always will, but I was curious what happens in a situation like this.

The reason it got me to thinking, was a friend of mine had a Kay Jewelers store card for a while. (I recommend this for building as its a good tradeline for those with little to no history)

He apped recently for a LeRoys card, which is also Sterling Jewelers, and was approved.

I mentioned they share the same credit line and he called to confirm I was correct, and closed the account. he didn't want 2 cards sharing the same line.

This was just a day or 2 after approval.  So what happens?  Is that going to cause more harm than good?

I didn't know what to say .... other than I have no clue and Hopefully it wont show.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing a brand new account qeustion.

Yes it will still report, it would basicly take an act of a higher power for it not to report. If the card doesn't have an AF, don't close the card, get the card use it or not, wait till the creditor to close it, it will help your AAoA. You have paid the price, got the INQ and had a new tradeline added to your report you might as get the benefit of the AAoA help.

If the card has an AF, then you have a choice as to how long you want to pay it, perhaps call the company and get it waived, if not you may want to close it, should only be an issue later under manual review, but 1 or 2 cards closed with a short history isn't an issue.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 4
brianjb
Contributor

The account will stay on his report.  He applied for the card.  It will report to the bureaus anyway.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 3 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Your friend can ask them to delete the TL, it will be up to them if they are willing to accommodate his request. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.