Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a few cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing a few cards

That I can try. Smiley Very Happy

Time to bring this back to OP before Irish or Uncle Ben shows up. I'm in the camp that you should close it if you're not going to use it, life is too short to worry about and babysit a bunch of useless SD cards, and even though I have no evidence that how cards are closed would affect your profile, common sense tells me "closed by consumer" is cleaner and raises less questions than "closed by granter" during manual review.

Message 21 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ill second Saeren's point on some lender may frown on closing a card before 1st year is up. Even though i wont app again for Chase cards, i believe me closing my Amazon Visa before year one has put me on a blacklist. Just my gut feeling.

If you are gonna close cards that arent in it for the long haul, id prefer to do it early while the age is young than wait til account has a couple years. Just an sverage penny.
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied and was approved for Freedom in April 2017 for 1K and a 24%+ APR, my score jumped 100+ points 2 days later into 800's after last collection came off the report, Chase refused to recon the original terms with my offer of re-pulling the report, I closed the card before it even arrived, had no problem getting approved for 7k and reasonable APR when I re-applied 1.5 month later in June.
Message 23 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I stupidly have tried a couple times for their AARP card, for the bonus ,snd to see if i could. Both times double pull and nothing. The only thing a low income will get you with Chase is a smile and a "Nice try little fella"Smiley Wink. I regret closing it too early but it is what is wasSmiley Wink. When we limit ourselves to only one lender then it becomes more of a problem imo.
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I will close out the 4 cards that are relatively new and focus on paying down my car and personal loan without applying for anything new and let the ages of my better cards continue to grow
Message 25 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Ill second Saeren's point on some lender may frown on closing a card before 1st year is up. Even though i wont app again for Chase cards, i believe me closing my Amazon Visa before year one has put me on a blacklist. Just my gut feeling.

If you are gonna close cards that arent in it for the long haul, id prefer to do it early while the age is young than wait til account has a couple years. Just an sverage penny.

While anything is possible, I really don't think closing an account before a year is going to put anyone on a blacklist. There's nothing negative about it. You just decided you didn't want the account.

Now, if you did it repeatedly, I could see your point. But one or a couple times closing a young account isn't going to make a lender blacklist someone.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.