Did you mean: 

Closing accounts is fun!

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Closing accounts is fun!

@RockinRay wrote:

Hey Ron,

I am sure it will for a short period of time. But both my wife and I are just under 800 (I am 817 on Walmart TU) now so that drop should not hurt anything. And we just closed on a refi of the house this past Monday so from a credit perspective, there is nothing that we need...

It was just time to clean house a bit. We just had too many open accounts.

Ray,

The score will go back up to 800 within a couple of months. I'm surprise you closed Discover Card, Amex, BCE. Those card are the good cards to keep it open. By the way, congrats on your re-financing your house. I think you left DCU Platinum Visa open for free FICO score. Smiley Happy

Ron.

Message 11 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

You closed BCE and Discover? What card do you use for grocery and online shopping? Smiley Happy

Since my Wife works for Target Corporate, we get the groceries at Target.  Smiley Happy

We also get stuff at Costco...

I am old school and do not online shop very much.

With the other cards and limits you have not to mention being in Corporate which I just assume (know what happens when you assume) but that's not a low hourly type job like some of the store jobs and you still only have $4k visa at target?!

Message 12 of 27
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

You closed BCE and Discover? What card do you use for grocery and online shopping? Smiley Happy

Since my Wife works for Target Corporate, we get the groceries at Target.  Smiley Happy

We also get stuff at Costco...

I am old school and do not online shop very much.

With the other cards and limits you have not to mention being in Corporate which I just assume (know what happens when you assume) but that's not a low hourly type job like some of the store jobs and you still only have $4k visa at target?!

Yes, we have tried for an increase with them but have never had any luck. We opened that card back in 2010. Typically, we spend an average of $1100 per month and of course it is PIF and they show us no love.

Maybe since TD is the "backer" now, that will change. This being said, that card only shows at Target...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 13 of 27
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

Hey Ron,

I am sure it will for a short period of time. But both my wife and I are just under 800 (I am 817 on Walmart TU) now so that drop should not hurt anything. And we just closed on a refi of the house this past Monday so from a credit perspective, there is nothing that we need...

It was just time to clean house a bit. We just had too many open accounts.

Ray,

The score will go back up to 800 within a couple of months. I'm surprise you closed Discover Card, Amex, BCE. Those card are the good cards to keep it open. By the way, congrats on your re-financing your house. I think you left DCU Platinum Visa open for free FICO score. Smiley Happy

Ron.

Ron - you are right. I left DCU open and have a $10k CL there - for the free FICO score. 

Ray

Message 14 of 27
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

INTERESTING!

When I spoke with the Discover Rep, she asked my why I wanted to close and I told her because the credit line was too low for me ($5500). She offered the SP option which approved me up to $6k CL. I told her no thanks and to please close the account.

Well, I just got a phone call from Discover to let me know that they were sorry to see me leave and they asked what could be done to retain my business. I told her that the minimum CL I would accept was $10K. She put me on hold for about 30 seconds and came back with an offer of $10,500 CL and would reduce my interest rate to 10.99%. I asked her if this was a HP and she said no it was an "internal" decision.

I guess I will leave this card open...  Smiley Tongue

Ray

Message 15 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Good list of open cc's! Nice to hear that Discover really wanted you as a customer- that says something to me.
Message 16 of 27
Ron1
Super Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

INTERESTING!

When I spoke with the Discover Rep, she asked my why I wanted to close and I told her because the credit line was too low for me ($5500). She offered the SP option which approved me up to $6k CL. I told her no thanks and to please close the account.

Well, I just got a phone call from Discover to let me know that they were sorry to see me leave and they asked what could be done to retain my business. I told her that the minimum CL I would accept was $10K. She put me on hold for about 30 seconds and came back with an offer of $10,500 CL and would reduce my interest rate to 10.99%. I asked her if this was a HP and she said no it was an "internal" decision.

I guess I will leave this card open...  Smiley Tongue

Ray,

Congrats!!!!  Discover Card is a good card to keep as I told you.

Ron.

Message 17 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

It is fun to talk to the reps when closing accounts. Some do really try and keep you (Discover) while others give the impression that they could care less...

Smiley Happy

Seems to really vary as well by the method you use, usually if I send a secure message to close, it just happens, maybe the group that goes to don't care, if you close by phone, often a better attempt at retention.

Message 18 of 27
CS800
Super Contributor

Good for you Ray

I have too many cards as is but only use 4 of them and thats including my Target store card. The rest i rotate once in a while .

Message 19 of 27
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Good for you Ray

I have too many cards as is but only use 4 of them and thats including my Target store card. The rest i rotate once in a while .

Same - 

In my wallet right now:

USAA MC - General Purchases

PenFed Visa - Gas

Amex Costco - Costco and rest / fast food

Target Visa - Target

Since closing stuff and moving things around, I will also rotate the others from time to time to keep them active.

Ray

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.