Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing accounts is fun!

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Closing accounts is fun!

@RockinRay wrote:

So I have way too many card accounts and have decided to close some down...

Closed Southwest Siggy Visa.

Closed Amazon Visa

Applied for a Chase Freedom Siggy and was approved. Moved the Southwest CL to the Freedom as well as a portion of the Amazon Visa to the Freedom to bring the total credit limit to $30k. Lost $3500 in CL but wanted to cap the Freedom at $30k.

Closed CapOne Cash Rewards

Closed Discover

Closed Sam's Discover

Closed Nordstrom Siggy Visa

Considering closing Walmart Discover

Closed Amex Delta

Closed Amex BCE

Closed Barclay Carnival MC

Brings me to my everyday cards:

1. USAA MC; $25k CL

2. PenFed Visa; $43k CL

3. Chase Freedom; $30k CL

4. Amex Costco; $35k CL

5. Target Visa; $4k CL

6. Wings Visa; $13k CL (8.9% APR - do not use)

7. PSECU Visa; $20k (do not use)

8. US Bank Cash +; $26k CL

9. DCU; $10k (do not use)

I have other "store" cards that have been run down the shredder. No plans to use them and they can auto close.

Nice not to have so many cards to manage or worry about. I will just let these current cards grow.

Since we have no debt (excluding the house) I think I have all the credit I need!

It is fun to talk to the reps when closing accounts. Some do really try and keep you (Discover) while others give the impression that they could care less...

Smiley Happy

Thats Awesome Ray!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Very nice CL's I might add!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 21 of 27
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

INTERESTING!

When I spoke with the Discover Rep, she asked my why I wanted to close and I told her because the credit line was too low for me ($5500). She offered the SP option which approved me up to $6k CL. I told her no thanks and to please close the account.

Well, I just got a phone call from Discover to let me know that they were sorry to see me leave and they asked what could be done to retain my business. I told her that the minimum CL I would accept was $10K. She put me on hold for about 30 seconds and came back with an offer of $10,500 CL and would reduce my interest rate to 10.99%. I asked her if this was a HP and she said no it was an "internal" decision.

I guess I will leave this card open...  Smiley Tongue

Nice to see that Discover was able to meet your standards. When I saw you closed the card my eyes went big, it's one of my favorite cards.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 22 of 27
HiLine
Blogger

@RockinRay wrote:

INTERESTING!

When I spoke with the Discover Rep, she asked my why I wanted to close and I told her because the credit line was too low for me ($5500). She offered the SP option which approved me up to $6k CL. I told her no thanks and to please close the account.

Well, I just got a phone call from Discover to let me know that they were sorry to see me leave and they asked what could be done to retain my business. I told her that the minimum CL I would accept was $10K. She put me on hold for about 30 seconds and came back with an offer of $10,500 CL and would reduce my interest rate to 10.99%. I asked her if this was a HP and she said no it was an "internal" decision.

That is incredible. Did they close your account, then re-open it???

Message 23 of 27
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

INTERESTING!

I am not sure to be honest. I did not ask. I have yet to be warned of a pull from TU...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 24 of 27
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

So I have way too many card accounts and have decided to close some down...

Closed Southwest Siggy Visa.

Closed Amazon Visa

Applied for a Chase Freedom Siggy and was approved. Moved the Southwest CL to the Freedom as well as a portion of the Amazon Visa to the Freedom to bring the total credit limit to $30k. Lost $3500 in CL but wanted to cap the Freedom at $30k.

Closed CapOne Cash Rewards

Closed Discover

Closed Sam's Discover

Closed Nordstrom Siggy Visa

Considering closing Walmart Discover

Closed Amex Delta

Closed Amex BCE

Closed Barclay Carnival MC

Brings me to my everyday cards:

1. USAA MC; $25k CL

2. PenFed Visa; $43k CL

3. Chase Freedom; $30k CL

4. Amex Costco; $35k CL

5. Target Visa; $4k CL

6. Wings Visa; $13k CL (8.9% APR - do not use)

7. PSECU Visa; $20k (do not use)

8. US Bank Cash +; $26k CL

9. DCU; $10k (do not use)

I have other "store" cards that have been run down the shredder. No plans to use them and they can auto close.

Nice not to have so many cards to manage or worry about. I will just let these current cards grow.

Since we have no debt (excluding the house) I think I have all the credit I need!

It is fun to talk to the reps when closing accounts. Some do really try and keep you (Discover) while others give the impression that they could care less...

Smiley Happy

Thats Awesome Ray!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Very nice CL's I might add!!!

Thanks LS! Been a long road to walk to get to this point...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 25 of 27
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

Yes it was time to "weed" the garden so to speak.

We were up to total of $324k in open credit and that is just too much.

Of couse I did suggest to my wife that we should go and get max cash advances on all of them, then move to some nice island south of Florida - but - she did not go for that!

Smiley Happy

I have some other cards like Ben Bridge Jewelers that I do not use, but will just let them stay open until they auto close. The Ben Bridge came in handy when I bought my wife her new Rolex. Took advantage of a 6 month plan that they were offering at the time.

I will go with you next year when I add another $25,000 in credit.  That is if I can get the Cash Advance Limits up to the credit limit or if I can find someone who needs to buy some high ticket items and work with them for the cash.  (Joking!  I don't want anyone to call my creditors and inform them.  Really I am joking. Smiley Wink)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 26 of 27
HiLine
Blogger

@RockinRay wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

INTERESTING!

I am not sure to be honest. I did not ask. I have yet to be warned of a pull from TU...

I mean, in the first conversation did they say they were going to close the account? I'm sure it takes some time for them to process an account closing request; they must've followed up with you while the process was still onoing. 

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.