Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing low limit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing low limit cards?

I’m wondering if I should close an old card with a low limit.

Cards I have:

Amex Everyday - limit $18K, opened 2017
Discover It - limit $19K, opened 2017
Capital One Quicksilver, limit $8k opened 2012
Chase amazon prime, limit $400, opened 2006
Credit Union card - limit $9k, opened 2002

Store cards:
Dell, limit $4K, opened 2016
Amazon/synchrony, limit $4k, opened 2015
Victoria’s Secret/comenity, limit $1.4K, opened 2014
Loft/comenity, limit $1.7K, opened 2013
Target, limit $2k, opened 2003
New York & co/comenity, limit $1.8K, opened 2002

I don’t plan to apply for more cards anytime soon. I have a $1K balance on the Discover that will be paid off next month before the 0 APR ends; no other card carries a balance.

I want to close Chase and Dell for sure. I have been using the Chase for only Netflix for 2-3 years. I typically use the other store cards 3-4 times per year.

I plan to buy a new car and a condo in 2020 and just wanted to remove the unneeded cards.

Other than student loans, I have no other debt. My loans will be forgiven in about 2 years (I work in public service).

Any reason that I should keep them open?
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing low limit cards?

Hi @Anonymous, welcome to the forums.

On the surface, it doesn't appear as though this would even impact your overall utilization, closing them would not be any issue.  Dell is a limited purpose tradeline unless you shop them frequently online, and you already have the SYNCB Amazon store card.  Typically, Chase would require a HP for a CLI so not worth it IMO.   It also appears you have 3 other accounts dating back prior to 2006.

Message 2 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I absolutely would close any card that you don’t want or use. You have some good ones with nice limits so don’t think twice about it. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally wouldn't close a 13 year old Chase account. Should you want Chase cards in the future, it's always nice to have that ongoing and positive relationship. I'd try to see if they would increase the limit, even at the cost of a hard pull. I'd change it to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited if it wasn't giving much benefit as an Amazon card. 

Message 4 of 17
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

On the surface, it doesn't appear as though this would even impact your overall utilization, closing them would not be any issue.  Dell is a limited purpose tradeline unless you shop them frequently online, and you already have the SYNCB Amazon store card.  Typically, Chase would require a HP for a CLI so not worth it IMO.   It also appears you have 3 other accounts dating back prior to 2006.

Why are people on here with really good scores so afraid of a hard pull here and there? People act like a hard pull will tank your scores, it won’t and I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir, but the  points drop that inquiry will cause will be temporary at best. Back on topic, I think a HP is a no brainer to advance a 13 year card with a $400 limit. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 5 of 17
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn’t make any major changes until you have your mortgage finalized.

Also, buy the condo BEFORE the car.

With that said, how do you have a 14 year old Chase credit card with only a $400 credit line? What did you do?
Message 6 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@stonedog23 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Why are people on here with really good scores so afraid of a hard pull here and there? People act like a hard pull will tank your scores, it won’t and I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir, but the  points drop that inquiry will cause will be temporary at best. Back on topic, I think a HP is a no brainer to advance a 13 year card with a $400 limit. 

@stonedog23, as far as this specific discussion, fear wasn't mentioned with regard to incurring a HP.   To level set my response, a [CLI] HP with Chase may or may not yield the desired results for the OP.  Moreover, the OP has an Amazon (store) CC as an alternative.   Secondly, the OP had indicated applying for a auto loan and/or mortgage sometime during 2020, but without a specific date.  That being said, it would behoove the OP to refrain from any unnecessary HPs given the mortgage on the horizon.  

Had the OP stated how to 'grow' her Amazon Visa or alternative options on other products absent the potential mortgage in 2020, then that would be a different discussion altogether.  In that situation, incurring a HP for a more suitable product could be ideal.

Message 7 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Close what you dont want. Having a 13 year old card helps but at the end of the day its just a card and will report up to 10 years or more which by that time you b chilling in your Condo sippin a col' oneSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 17
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@stonedog23 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@stonedog23, as far as this specific discussion, fear wasn't mentioned with regard to incurring a HP.   To level set my response, a [CLI] HP with Chase may or may not yield the desired results for the OP.  Moreover, the OP has an Amazon (store) CC as an alternative.   Secondly, the OP had indicated applying for a auto loan and/or mortgage sometime during 2020, but without a specific date.  That being said, it would behoove the OP to refrain from any unnecessary HPs given the mortgage on the horizon.  

Had the OP stated how to 'grow' her Amazon Visa or alternative options on other products absent the potential mortgage in 2020, then that would be a different discussion altogether.  In that situation, incurring a HP for a more suitable product could be ideal.

I’d like to know when in 2020 the poster will be going in with a lender for that mortgage.  If it’s July 2020, it can’t cause much damage based on my personal pursuit of a mortgage quote. But my fear comment on HPs wasn’t specific to this thread, but repeatedly I see posters fretting a random HP. For instance, I’m not pursing any type of mortgage, car note, new job, etc, so I’m not afraid of a HP for a credit increase. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I’m not afraid of a hard pull but I was under the impression that I couldn’t do a product change on a co-branded Chase card and since I have another Amazon card, a cli wouldn’t really help me.

The Chase card limit was always $400. It was opened when I was in college and only worked part time/had pretty low income. I’ve updated my income on the site and it hasn’t made a difference. I’ve never paid late or gone over the limit, etc. Not sure why it’s never increased.

And yes, I plan to buy the condo first and the car second.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.